Changed brake bulb - now won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PGPDX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Weird situation. I have a 20011 Yukon Denali. I had the drivers side brake light bulb burn out. I bought new ones and went to replace the burnt out bulb. Swapped the bulb then went to start the car and it acted like the battery was about dead. So I hook up the charger and let it sit for awhile and try to start again and it just barely cranks once. Then dead again. I put the burned out bulb back it, put it back on the charger and everything has been just fine. I tossed the bulb I had originally swapped in but it came in a two pack. I installed the other one today and the car has started but it defenitly us having a tough time turning over. Any ideas??

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
No idea, just weird. Just curious, but how we're the filaments and the metal prongs that plug into the socket? Anything unusual looking?

SnowFish

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My vote is it's totally unrelated. A 6 year old battery will exhibit the same symptoms. Any bulb is basically a dead short. or it would not light. The system is designed for that. If not, the wiring harness would be melted to a crisp in a heart beat.

I say, it's coincidental. You're still on the original battery, right?
With all the parasitic drain, that these things have, a very healthy battery is an absolute must.

OP
OP
P

PGPDX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No idea, just weird. Just curious, but how we're the filaments and the metal prongs that plug into the socket? Anything unusual looking?

They looked a little more black than I expected. Filament was just burned through in one spot. The socket also looked a little dark but dont know if that was just dirt. The backside of those things are not too clean.

OP
OP
P

PGPDX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My vote is it's totally unrelated. A 6 year old battery will exhibit the same symptoms. Any bulb is basically a dead short. or it would not light. The system is designed for that. If not, the wiring harness would be melted to a crisp in a heart beat.

I say, it's coincidental. You're still on the original battery, right?
With all the parasitic drain, that these things have, a very healthy battery is an absolute must.

I totally would agree but it 100% happened when I pulled that bulb and replaced it and went back to normal when I took the new bulbs out. I see it as totally unrelated too but to think that it is only coincidence doesnt make sense although I would say the same thing if it was not for that it changes when I put the new bulbs in. I am going to get a different brand bulb tomorrow and see what happens. I would also agree on the battery but like I said. Once I took the new bulb out it was good as new. I know it is crazy, I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around it. That is why I posted here. Just very strange.

SnowFish

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did you replace with the Exact bulb that is called for?
The way that all the systems are inner connected, I guess it's possible the wrong bulb could disrupt the computers universe.;)
I know my 96 Grand Cherokee would through a "lamp out" code if the wrong bulb was used. Just because it plugs in & lights doesn't mean the car will accept it.
Fast forward 15+ years and our Yukons & Tahoes are even more picky about whats plugged in.

Please keep us in the loop how this whole saga turns out.:cheers:

OP
OP
P

PGPDX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, I put a new battery in it and problem fixed. I have been driving it for a little over a week and it starts up just fine. But just checked and the same brake light is burned out again. I assume that I must have a short or something? What would be the best way to test or what should I start checking?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justjacks07

Latest posts