Can the Suspension control module cause yukon not to start?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimmy1wheel

Reaction score
My Yukon would not start the other day, so I had it towed to the dealer. I had power, lights, everything, it just would not crank or even click when I turned the key or tried the remote start. The dealer called me and said the starter was bad and they were replacing it under warranty. An hr or so later, I get a call back and they said something else is still not letting it start. The next day they called and said it was a module that was under the rear spare tire that wasn't letting it start, so they replaced it and I was charged $712.00. I looked at the bill, and the module is listed as a "suspension control module". My question is, what does this module have to do with starting? They specifically told me it would not start if this module was bad.

BanditHoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes, mine did it. Unplug it and live with the light or buy a new one online for about $350. The BCM communicates with all the modules, if one module goes down the system goes down - sometimes. There are upwards of 7 modules (depending on options). In another thread I explained it better. Common failures are suspension module (called the vehicle dynamics control module), radio, airbag and fuel pump control module. The downside is, it's a VIN burn unit and you need the dealer to burn a VIN into it, might work work without it too, not 100% sure.

OP
OP
jimmy1wheel

jimmy1wheel

Reaction score
Thanks! They told me there are 24 modules on it and it took them forever to figure it out. At least they chalked the diagnostic charges up to a learning experience and didn't charge me.

BanditHoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ya, I can imagine. I knew specifically which ones normally fail in my climate and started there.

I'm sure if you start counting all the smaller modules too (e.g., windows, etc.) there probably are 24. What a pain.

Camaro71

Reaction score
My Yukon would not start the other day, so I had it towed to the dealer. I had power, lights, everything, it just would not crank or even click when I turned the key or tried the remote start. The dealer called me and said the starter was bad and they were replacing it under warranty. An hr or so later, I get a call back and they said something else is still not letting it start. The next day they called and said it was a module that was under the rear spare tire that wasn't letting it start, so they replaced it and I was charged $712.00. I looked at the bill, and the module is listed as a "suspension control module". My question is, what does this module have to do with starting? They specifically told me it would not start if this module was bad.

Camaro71

Reaction score
I just had this happen today & yes it does cause a no crank/ start issue. 08 yukon denali. It stopped my rear power lift gate to quit & oil temp & gas guage to quit. I unplugged the modual & the problem stopped . Now to order a new modual. What a pain trying to track down tha culprit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA