Can I Install a Factory Trailer Package?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

axekick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought an 04 2wd Tahoe. It doesn't even have a hitch but I need to tow occasionally. I have a small camper that has trailer brakes and uses a 7 pin plug. Can I get the harness off of a truck that came with the tow package and install it on mine? I'm not sure if it works like that or not.

mizzouguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Id look back there and see what it has for wiring. I dont think the non-tow package ones had provisions for a 7 pin connector w/brakes etc. My factory tow package 04 has a quick connect behind the 7 pin plug in, and it could be electrical taped out of the way somewhere back there. Mine also had a quick connect up by the brake pedal for the controller. I can send pictures if you want. Finally, theres a dummy fuse in the underhood panel that powers trailer acc power through the 7 pin, you may see if it has any terminals in the back of the fuse box or not. Hope this helps.

At the very least, if it doesnt have any provisions for factory wiring, you could always wire in your own 7 pin connector but youd have to get an adapter since it has separate turn and brake lights. And run your blue wire all the way up to the controller and wire in the controller manually as well. Its do-able.

Lead slinger

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just bought an 04 2wd Tahoe. It doesn't even have a hitch but I need to tow occasionally. I have a small camper that has trailer brakes and uses a 7 pin plug. Can I get the harness off of a truck that came with the tow package and install it on mine? I'm not sure if it works like that or not.

I recently installed a hitch on my 2010 ppv Tahoe. Easiest install ever! All of the factory wiring is in place, zip tied to the frame rail. I bought it from a local Chevy dealership, and believe it or not it was in stock! It's wasn't cheap, 502$ out the door. That was the hitch, and the 7 pin plug.

mizzouguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This site generally has really good instructions.
May check out their hitches:
https://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2002_Chevrolet_Tahoe.htm
What they list for non-factory tow package for wiring:
https://www.etrailer.com/t1-2002_Chevrolet_Tahoe.htm?style=without+factory+7-Way
If it has the pigtail by the rear bumper:
https://www.etrailer.com/p-30955.html

I recently installed a hitch on my 2010 ppv Tahoe. Easiest install ever! All of the factory wiring is in place, zip tied to the frame rail. I bought it from a local Chevy dealership, and believe it or not it was in stock! It's wasn't cheap, 502$ out the door. That was the hitch, and the 7 pin plug.

The dealer would take away all of your headache. They know the wiring and such...

Lead slinger

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here's the part numbers you'll need.

Part #25938524
Part #12191503

The rest is easy, all of the wiring is plug and play. Hardest part for me was finding a place to lay the bumper cover without scratching it.

OP
OP
axekick

axekick

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Part #25938524
Part #12191503

The rest is easy, all of the wiring is plug and play. Hardest part for me was finding a place to lay the bumper cover without scratching it.

Wow. You guys are a big help. It's a really pretty important that I be able to pull with this thing. I'll report back one I get it all together.

mizzouguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Part #25938524
Part #12191503

Thats awesome, good to know its plug and play.

Wow. You guys are a big help. It's a really pretty important that I be able to pull with this thing. I'll report back one I get it all together.

Good deal!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilbert two