Calling anyone who's changed a GMT400 1/2 ton Half shaft.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got the shop manual, and the procedure seems a bit of a pain. Yet, I've read posts by people who claim to know someone who did it in 30 minutes. The youtube videos I could find were either laughably stupid or unhelpful. If you have actually changed a half shaft yourself, what exactly did you have to disassemble to get the half shaft out? Is the lower shock bolt and the tie rod end enough--obviously all the half shaft bolts as well--or did you have to pull the ball joints too? I guess some of these rigs have scalloped flanges where the half shaft mates with the diff--I imagine that makes enough clearance to simplify things. I don't have the scalloped flanges, they're just round...

Also, does anyone know how many teeth are on the reluctor wheel for the ABS located inside the hub? I have the wheel on the half shaft and was considering getting a wheel hub from a later year. It seems like the wheel in the hub assembly would be a lot less prone to contamination. My exposed wheel on the half shaft has 55 teeth.

Thanks!

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Service manual dictates axle shaft nut, sway bar end, upper ball joint, outer tie rod and lower shock mount be removed. unbolt the inner joint to lower it and and break the outer shaft out of the hub. just use a jack under the lower arm to keep it from slamming down and doing damage by keep it under tension. I believe the 1994 was the last to use shaft with the 55 ring on the shaft. After that the ring was inside the hub assembly and no longer on the axle.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always been able to get them out just by taking off the 6 flange bolts and the 1 nut then sneaking the flange down and out. Helps to have the suspension fully extended

OP
OP
N

Nak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Service manual dictates axle shaft nut, sway bar end, upper ball joint, outer tie rod and lower shock mount be removed. unbolt the inner joint to lower it and and break the outer shaft out of the hub. just use a jack under the lower arm to keep it from slamming down and doing damage by keep it under tension. I believe the 1994 was the last to use shaft with the 55 ring on the shaft. After that the ring was inside the hub assembly and no longer on the axle.
Thanks! Do you know how many teeth are inside the hub assembly? Just wondering If that would work with my setup...

I've always been able to get them out just by taking off the 6 flange bolts and the 1 nut then sneaking the flange down and out. Helps to have the suspension fully extended
Thanks! Is your flange round, or scalloped? I've seen some of the later ones with the scalloped flanges. Seems like it would be easier to pull one of those; if you line up the scalloped portions right you have a lot more clearance. I assume that's why GM went to the scalloped flanges...

OP
OP
N

Nak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've done both and yes the scalloped ones are much easier

I figured. :) The round ones though, they can be snaked out without pulling the ball joints?

Sorry I have not disassembled a hub to find out.

Thanks anyway! I'll just have to get one out of a wrecking yard and tear it apart somehow. Anyways, once I do I'll post the results up so the next guy will know. :)

OP
OP
N

Nak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I appreciate the info!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xay2Smoove