CA smog fail (need help)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justirv

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Can anyone help me locating a be cat fir my 2007 ltz Chevy Tahoe please. My truck failed it’s smog test here in CA saying passenger cat is bad but I can’t seem to find one at a fair price. Cheapest I found one was $900 just fir the cat any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I replaced mine (2002 Tahoe Z71 5.3) with the MagnaFlow 458062 Direct Fit Catalytic Converter (CARB compliant). At the time it was around $1k, but you got both Cats and fresh piping from the manifolds to the Y-pipe. Check fitment for your app.

tyab

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here is a lower cost and fully CA compliant option. Find a local muffler shop THAT IS NOT A CHAIN - you are looking for an independent shop. Ask them if they will cut out and replace cats. If not - keep calling until you find one - or ask a local indy shop if they know who does this. When you find such a shop - they can order just the CA compliant cat and cut out and weld in the new one. You will get paperwork that you must keep in the car that has the serial number for the new cat. Out the door it should be around 325-350 for a single cat. The local shop I use had done both cats on our 2000 and one cat on my 2004 GM Yukon XL over the last 5 years or so and is fully legal in CA.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a lower cost and fully CA compliant option. Find a local muffler shop THAT IS NOT A CHAIN - you are looking for an independent shop. Ask them if they will cut out and replace cats. If not - keep calling until you find one - or ask a local indy shop if they know who does this. When you find such a shop - they can order just the CA compliant cat and cut out and weld in the new one. You will get paperwork that you must keep in the car that has the serial number for the new cat. Out the door it should be around 325-350 for a single cat. The local shop I use had done both cats on our 2000 and one cat on my 2004 GM Yukon XL over the last 5 years or so and is fully legal in CA.
Partially true, they can cut out and weld in the new cat/s the new cat's have to have the correct part number stamped on them to pass the visual inspection, they do not use a serial number nor a receipt. a receipt may come in handy just to show the manufacture name if the tech can't figure it out, cat still has to have the right numbers stamped on it and they have to be visible. Otherwise anyone could just pull out a receipt and say whatever, that wont fly.

OP
OP
J

Jesus_831

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have magnaflow cat's on my 2012 yukon, I just went to the magnaflow website and entered my vehicle info for both a 5.3 and 6.2 and it showed CA carb compliant options for both so I don't know what you are doing wrong, it did show $764 for a cat which is not even close to what I paid, I might have paid $300.00 dealers get below retail pricing which is why I said to have a muffler shop order it for you, they need to confirm the EFN # on your intake air box anyway before they can even install it.
Thanks for the info, I did check them out and fir my make and model it’s $851 just fir the cat without the install so I’m still looking at just over 1k which is what I don’t want to pay if theres a cheaper alternative. My year is 2007 Tahoe 5.3 ltz family # 7gmxt05.3381

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tatheho