Buying the NorCalSS Ultimate handling package. Help me with wheels!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr. Merk

Reaction score
I always prefer the OEM+ look over something obviously aftermarket

Deephaven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had 22's in the past but never 24's. I'm going to be building a "performance" truck (as much as I can with a huge heavy suburban) so I don't want wheels that will hinder more than help. Will the 24's hurt my performance in any reasonable amount over the 22's?

22s are almost 98 lbs.

No shame in 22s on a nbs..... at all

The 24" TBSS wheels are lighter than the stock 22's. That is what had me order up a set. My truck has Tony's handling kit, Wilwood's and a 2.3L Whipple on it. I am in the same boat now. Being an Escalade though I really wanted polished aluminum as I think I need the shine to match the rest of the truck. The polished ones are 3 months out though so I am toying with black & machined or chrome.

My truck with the lowering/handling kit:
IMAG1028_zps88daba71.jpg

Under hood
IMG_20150523_111520_zpsoqus57ob.jpg

Personally I think a 23" would look the best, but I am not trying that route. I tend to like the wheel gap and tire profile to be about the same.

OP
OP
Yogi619

Yogi619

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Let me try asking it like this, to see if 24's are even plausible...

The kit comes with a rear spring that allows a 6" drop. Since I'm running a Suburban instead of a Tahoe I'm expecting it'll be closer to 6.5". Up front I'll likely get Belltech spindles on top of the 3" DJM arms for a total of 5" give or take.

Can I even really run a 24 with that set up?

Hypothetically, let's just say I got the TBSS 22's. Is it possible to run a 305/40? Or maybe a 285/45?

redeknightjr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think about black chrome? I like the comp grey, but i think a base of black with chrome might be sweet! Any ideas?

---------- Post added at 07:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 PM ----------

To clarify black chrome paint....not chrome over black only

OP
OP
Yogi619

Yogi619

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The 24" TBSS wheels are lighter than the stock 22's. That is what had me order up a set. My truck has Tony's handling kit, Wilwood's and a 2.3L Whipple on it. I am in the same boat now. Being an Escalade though I really wanted polished aluminum as I think I need the shine to match the rest of the truck. The polished ones are 3 months out though so I am toying with black & machined or chrome.

My truck with the lowering/handling kit:
IMAG1028_zps88daba71.jpg

Under hood
IMG_20150523_111520_zpsoqus57ob.jpg

Personally I think a 23" would look the best, but I am not trying that route. I tend to like the wheel gap and tire profile to be about the same.
Chrome or brushed/polished aluminum on an Escalade makes sense, since chrome has been a calling card of luxury since the 50's (and probably before, but not quite like the 50's).

I love the Whipple, but I think this build is going to be a stroker/nitrous combo. Simply because I don't see them very often, and I've never really had a chance to put my hands on nitrous.

The only black chrome I have soever seen is industrial black chrome used on firearms, which isn't the same thing. I'm sure it's cool, but probably not the color contrast I'm looking for.

I'm thinking chrome in any wheel style is going to be the way to go, since I can always dip my wheels when I'm in the mood for a change. It's a lot easier to dip my wheels when I'm feeling like I need something new rather than having painted wheels chrome plated.

---------- Post added at 03:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:34 PM ----------

Here's a few pictures I've come across that have made this decision really difficult...

Silverado on 22" SS rims...
_57_zpseyywsyei.gif

Silverado on black 22" SS rims...
IMG_3203_zpsi0c97ctv.gif

Tahoe and Silverado on 24" chrome "aftermarket" rims...
user2_pic2434_1255305477_zpsoqaqjeho.gif
6579511945_34d8468ba6_zpsqa9xjm9n.gif

Yukon Denali on 22" grey TBSS rims...
DSC01563_zpshnzaxzk8.gif

They all look good in their own way. I'm just having a hard time deciding. Of all of these, I'm really digging how the chrome pops on black.

Deephaven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are running them year round I wouldn't do chrome in Utah. Putting chrome on an aluminum wheel is trouble if there is any salt. Even without I am gunshy as they will eventually leak on me. Exactly why I tried to order polished. Mine are summer only as I'll run winters here in MN, but I am still a bit afraid of the chrome.

OP
OP
Yogi619

Yogi619

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was thinking about plasti-dipping them during the winter for that reason, but it does kinda sound like a hassle. And the more I think about it, the more I remember how hard it can be to keep chrome looking it's best.

So far it looks like a lot of votes to the grey TBSS rims. I'm going to do some more searching around, but I think those may be the way to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman