Burnt harness wire, now no dash lights ?? & car turns off...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shane1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a pretty serious safety issue with my 2001 Tahoe and hope someone can help !

I saw a bit of smoke come from the dash on the left side. I pulled over and turned the truck off immediately.

Right after, I lost my dash (gauge cluster) lights and also the Heating/AC illumination. I checked the fuse and it was fine, although I think it was pretty obvious the wire was shorted and burnt.

I now have no gauge cluster / dash lights or h/vac illumination.

Another thing is that the Tahoe now periodically just dies (all power shuts off and vehicle engine turns off). If I shift it into Neutral and try to restart while coasting, it wont start. The vehicle needs to be in Park and then it will start up just fine, so this is a major safety issue.

Anyone experienced this?? Thoughts??

I suspect I will have to take the dash and dash board completely off and take a look. Just thought that someone might know whats happened.

Last thing, I did not make any mods of have an accident that might suggest it was the cause. This happened voluntarily.

Thanks for helping!

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
You're not the first with a puff of smoke, although I don't remember it causing a start /run issue. Try searching with smoke as one of your key words.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're not the first with a puff of smoke, although I don't remember it causing a start /run issue. Try searching with smoke as one of your key words.
ya I think I have heard of that before resulting in the dash lights and a/c going out but not drivability, I'd have to say it's pretty rare though

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
ya that's just the cluster though it wouldn't have anything to do with the vehicle shutting off, you can pull the cluster out and still drive just fine but it will throw a code eventually because it can tell the cluster is not there.

Just a reference to someone else that went ****.

OP
OP
S

Shane1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Its just the cluster illumination lights and the AC control backlights.

The Tahoe stalls (shuts off) for no reason once in a while. Usually when a vehicle stalls, you just put it in N and the restart. But now in my case I have to put it in Park and then it will restart.

I will pull the dash apart this weekend and take a look.

Thanks for the advice tho ! Much appreciated

OP
OP
S

Shane1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When it stalls just the left large square red light on the cluster.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dzg9

Latest posts