burning oil/replacing cylinders

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UofMZ71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a friend email me this:

"Does your Tahoe have the 5.3 liter V8?
I heard about some issues with burning oil/replacing cylinders. A lady I work with has a Yukon w/58Kmiles on it, and is having to replace the cylinders. Fortunately it was under warranty. The guy at the service department said it is a design flaw and they are doing at least one a week."

anyone else?

06whitess

Reaction score
I had an issue that warranted a call to the local service manager Monday...There's a TSB for OIL consumption where they install a deflector on the J Vin code 5.3 AFM F/F motors.... Maybe that'll help?

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put some uv die in the coolant and check just below the water pump first, if not there check the rest of the bay.

Otherwise,

GM TSB# 06-06-01-019B (came out 06-12-2007)
Subject: Information on Gradual Coolant Loss Over Time With NO EVIDENCE OF LEAK FOUND

Castech heads I believe...they can test for this TSB

2 E L O

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a friend email me this:

"Does your Tahoe have the 5.3 liter V8?
I heard about some issues with burning oil/replacing cylinders. A lady I work with has a Yukon w/58Kmiles on it, and is having to replace the cylinders. Fortunately it was under warranty. The guy at the service department said it is a design flaw and they are doing at least one a week."

anyone else?
How do you replace a cylinder? :hmm: :p

Put some uv die in the coolant and check just below the water pump first, if not there check the rest of the bay.

Otherwise,

GM TSB# 06-06-01-019B (came out 06-12-2007)
Subject: Information on Gradual Coolant Loss Over Time With NO EVIDENCE OF LEAK FOUND

Castech heads I believe...they can test for this TSB
The issue seems to be oil loss/consumption, not coolant loss.

I've commonly heard about the 5.3s consuming a little oil. I recall people saying that up to 1 qt per 1,000 miles is within GM's acceptable standards, but I've never seen that in writing from GM...and I, personally, would not be OK with consuming 1 qt per 1,000 miles.

I go about 6,000 miles between oil changes with my Tahoe....only once have I ever had to add any oil...and it was only about 1/2 to 3/4 qt to keep the dipstick happy.

I'm sure if you search around on here, GMFS, Z71Tahoe-Suburban, etc. there are probably additional threads with better/more accurate/more complete information than what I just spewed....

brownridge12

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is it sorted out right now or it is still the same. it could be due to loss of oil. it is better you take it to the local technician.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
telderjr05