bumper modification for trailer plug outlet

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vtx1800sba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, here's my dilemma. My 96 2 door has the trailer package. Has the old style pig tail plug. I've got the adapter for the new round type (7 pin?) and have it wire tired to the step on the rear bumper. Looks like shit but it works. What I want to do is remove the driver side trailer light (held in by a u-clip on the back side of the bumper). I am wondering if I can drill/bore through the bumper after removing the trailer light and routing the wiring there. Have plenty of slack. What challenges am I going to have boring through the chrome bumper? Any advice?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
you will be fine except those light are for the license plate are they not? And because you have 2 and not 4 door you may not have this but there is a hole with grommet for us 4dr's for tire carrier access as piced below. Might do you nicely. Just dab some primer or sealant in and around hole when installing plug. to prevent any corrosion later from exposed metal after drilling.

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

vtx1800sba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jon the light is for the license plate. There are two; one on each side of the bumper step. Shine on the license plate. I have a 2 door so no access hole for lowering the spare. The spare tire is in the cargo area (and another reason to get a swing away bumper set up). Will I have to get any certain kind of metal hole saw blade to punch through the chrome bumper?

gregsb

Reaction score
This may be a stupid question buy why not just get a bracket that mounts to your receiver tube and mount your connection there?

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had that spare hole on my 96 2-door and picked up a 4 pin trailer wire plug that fit perfectly in that hole. (plug is molded to fit in that size hole.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bb115