broken exterior door handle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ken Rouse

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
A small plastic retaining clip on the rear exterior door handle on my 2011 GMC Yukon XL just broke on the inside. The door can be opened from the inside, but not the outside. Local dealer wants $380 to replace this small broken piece of plastic which operates the unlock switch. This is the second one that has broken.

Has anyone tried to repair or replace the door handle? Youtube has several demonstrations on how to remove the door panel to get to the handle, but that seems to be complicated. Is there an easier way? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

cav01c14

Reaction score
I had to replace my exterior door handle on the rear drivers side. Seemed pretty simple to do myself. A few bolts and then pop it all back together. Took me about an hr to do myself.

Picked up a door handle for about 50$ at orileys if you have the plain black it will be even less.

Boyntonx2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Door handles are easy. $380?? That's insane if its just the handle. Is it the handle? Or something in the door? Most used handles are between $50 and $80 a pair depending on the color.
swapping them out takes like 15 minutes and a 10mm socket

Boyntonx2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
U do have to remove the inner door panel to do the swap. Its like 4 10mm bolts and some retaining clips

Boyntonx2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also for note, 2007-14 tahoes, suburbans, yukons, Yukon xls and 2007.5-12? (maybe 2013's I can't remember when they switched body styles) silverados and sierras all used the same door handles. So include those when your looking

OP
OP
K

Ken Rouse

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the comments. I have ordered a new handle and since I am somewhat mechanically inclined, I will take on the project as soon as the new handle arrives :)

OP
OP
K

Ken Rouse

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
ALL DONE!!!! Easy once I got started. The GMC door handles are really a piece of cheap plastic crap. No wonder they were so easy to break just by pulling on it a little too hard. So now I am waiting for the next one to break but at least I am comfortable with the replacement. Again, thanks for all of your replies :)

Ken

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amada