Brake bleeding went terrible. What are my options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

walther78

Reaction score
2003 Z71 Tahoe. 51,000 miles. I'm sure it was the original fluid.

I'd planned to bleed the brakes, change the transfer case oil and check the front and rear differential oil today but only got around to bleeding the brakes.

ALL of the bleeder screws were seized. I used PB blast and felt like I was going to break them off. My right rear was 10mm, left rear 3/8ths, left front 5/8ths and right front was 5/8's as well (if I can remember right). I was rounding them off with my open ended wrenches because they were only grabbing 2 parts of the bleeder so had to crank them open with a socket while my brother pumped the brakes. I had a bleeder vac tool that I had planned to use but the wrenches were not allowing me the ability to open the bleeder and close it. I've had motorcycles and some pontiacs that were a breeze to bleed.

I guess what I'm getting at is was there a possibility that air got into the system? The pedal feel is no different than it was before, just clean fluid through the lines. My main worry is that air will work itself up into the ABS module and screw it up? I believe there is an OBD type tool that plugs in to the port to purge the system and I should probably get that done? I also know I need new bleeder valves all around. Is there a specific size and style that are preferred or you've had luck with? I've done this a dozen times without a single issue on my other vehicles through the years and now feel like I screwed this one up pretty good.

OP
OP
W

walther78

Reaction score
And if I decide to put some new bleeders or speed bleeders on there do I just need to pinch the brake line and swap them out or is it more involved?

Thanks!

about20ninj45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003 Z71 Tahoe. 51,000 miles. I'm sure it was the original fluid.

I'd planned to bleed the brakes, change the transfer case oil and check the front and rear differential oil today but only got around to bleeding the brakes.

ALL of the bleeder screws were seized. I used PB blast and felt like I was going to break them off. My right rear was 10mm, left rear 3/8ths, left front 5/8ths and right front was 5/8's as well (if I can remember right). I was rounding them off with my open ended wrenches because they were only grabbing 2 parts of the bleeder so had to crank them open with a socket while my brother pumped the brakes. I had a bleeder vac tool that I had planned to use but the wrenches were not allowing me the ability to open the bleeder and close it. I've had motorcycles and some pontiacs that were a breeze to bleed.

I guess what I'm getting at is was there a possibility that air got into the system? The pedal feel is no different than it was before, just clean fluid through the lines. My main worry is that air will work itself up into the ABS module and screw it up? I believe there is an OBD type tool that plugs in to the port to purge the system and I should probably get that done? I also know I need new bleeder valves all around. Is there a specific size and style that are preferred or you've had luck with? I've done this a dozen times without a single issue on my other vehicles through the years and now feel like I screwed this one up pretty good.

FYI, never use open ended wrenches. You need a bleeder wrench to prevent this from happening in the future when your bleeder screws are seized. Typically only two bleeder wrenches are needed, depending on your bleeder screw, a 10mm and an 8 mm. I'm afraid yes you may have introduced air into the system, but you should be able to bleed it out. First things first, get those bleeder valves replaced...immediately. The next time you go to bleed, grab yourself a clear hose and submerge one end of the hose in brake fluid while the other end is attached to the caliper. When you crack the valve open, this will prevent the system from sucking up air.

OP
OP
W

walther78

Reaction score
I just ordered a new set of bleeder valves. I work the next 5 days (10hr days) so won't be able to get to it until next week. Any issues foreseen there?

about20ninj45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ordered a new set of bleeder valves. I work the next 5 days (10hr days) so won't be able to get to it until next week. Any issues foreseen there?

Air works its way up and brakes feel spongy, that's about it, depending on how much air got into the system

SLCHOE

ASE Master Certified + (L1)
Reaction score

Get a nice set of easy-outs in case they break off.

Also, you can bleed the brakes by loosening the banjo fitting at each caliper. Skip to 8:15 in the video.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobbyo