Body molding/trim for roof

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen a thread(s) either here or on other forum(s) where someone used adhesive-backed body molding that somewhat matched the embossed rails in the roof to cover the holes left from removing the roof rack. Of course, I can't find anything now- no threads, no Google pics, nothing.

Has anyone done this or can suggest a supplier for such molding? I'd rather some pre-made lengths with tapered ends but can probably make a cut-to-fit length from a roll work. Looking for something 1.25"-1.5" wide, 70"-72" long and minimum 5/16" height including the adhesive foam.

Roof ribs:

IMG_E5142.JPG

Side profile:

IMG_5143.JPG

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not what you’re looking for exactly, but the hybrid looks like it’s got something bolted over the roof rail holes to me. Like mini roof rails?

Mine has some thick rubber plugs over the holes (I’ve seen some ssv’s like mine and other where they never had rails).

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
I've seen a thread(s) either here or on other forum(s) where someone used adhesive-backed body molding that somewhat matched the embossed rails in the roof to cover the holes left from removing the roof rack. Of course, I can't find anything now- no threads, no Google pics, nothing.

Has anyone done this or can suggest a supplier for such molding? I'd rather some pre-made lengths with tapered ends but can probably make a cut-to-fit length from a roll work. Looking for something 1.25"-1.5" wide, 70"-72" long and minimum 5/16" height including the adhesive foam.

Roof ribs:

View attachment 236711

Side profile:

View attachment 236710

There is a TYF member that did what you are wanting to do to his NBS SUV.
I believe he used a 1" universal black door trim (it came in a 16ft roll with the tape already on and I found it at pep boys for like $15)

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/how-to-plugging-roof-rack-delete.1454/

@YNOT

Here is a pic of an NNBS with the trim you are looking for.

post-39623-0-34057900-1436397393.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not what you’re looking for exactly, but the hybrid looks like it’s got something bolted over the roof rail holes to me. Like mini roof rails?

I didn't know that about the Hybrid. I'll research this cuz I'm a fan of OEM solutions. Thanks for the help!

Mine has some thick rubber plugs over the holes (I’ve seen some ssv’s like mine and other where they never had rails).

I got some plastic tree rivets and painted the heads, but the nutsert sticks up way higher above the roof than I thought so they won't be as low-profile and clean as I want.

IMG_5068.JPG

IMG_5096.JPG

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a TYF member that did what you are wanting to do to his NBS SUV.
I believe he used a 1" universal black door trim (it came in a 16ft roll with the tape already on and I found it at pep boys for like $15)

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/how-to-plugging-roof-rack-delete.1454/

@YNOT

I ran across that thread but he hasn't logged in for over 8 years and never posted any links to what he used. I have been Googling for rolls of trim, but I'm not finding anything that looks promising. Having finished ends or finding a style that's solid so I can finish (cut/sand, etc.) the ends is the problem.

Here is a pic of an NNBS with the trim you are looking for.

post-39623-0-34057900-1436397393.jpg

YES!!! Where did you find that pic?!

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ran across that thread but he hasn't logged in for over 8 years and never posted any links to what he used. I have been Googling for rolls of trim, but I'm not finding anything that looks promising. Having finished ends or finding a style that's solid so I can finish (cut/sand, etc.) the ends is the problem.

YES!!! Where did you find that pic?!

What about something like this?
https://www.brandsport.com/trmg-pc02-01.html

Or

https://www.brandsport.com/trmg-cm44-01.html

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Great minds think alike. ;)
I found some of that last night right before I fell asleep. Actually, I was on Trim-Gard's site. They have a lot of options and even a few of the colors in their chart look really close. They're in Canada so shipping would probably be the deal-breaker, but Brandsport is in the States so that may very well be a saving grace. They even have one style that's really flat and 3.125" wide, so I could cover the footprints as well. It's twice the price, but that may be worth it if I won't have to spend hours buffing the finish. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Think of it like this, custom work is not cheap.

Ugh. Painfully true! Gotta pay to play and "pay" isn't limited to just money. Labor, tears and often blood are expenditures as well. Especially for someone like me that has to put more work into a mod than money.

...and what you are trying to do is one of a kind.

Yeah, I'm often putting my own spin on even the common mods cuz I always find ways that might can be improved (Recent example: My ALC compressor-to-Airlift bag venture). Most of the time, if I post a thread seeking help, the subject is usually uncharted territory and I get few replies. I'm not complaining cuz I understand that I'M the problem!

Honestly, I was expecting this thread to get crickets as well. I'm pleasantly surprised in and appreciative of the turnout!

My options as of now are:

A) Buff out the footprints and get a narrower strip of the molding to cover the holes

or

B) Check the scrap yard for a NNBS and experiment with drilling off the nutsert flanges and, if it's a viable option, do so on mine and use the tree rivets I made after buffing out the footprints

If the footprints won't clean up to my satisfaction, I'll just cover them and the holes with the wider strip of molding strip.

... Or maybe I'll just get the wider strip in the first place and be done with it. So this leads me to ponder if I want a raised rib to match the existing ones or aim for discreet as possible.

*sigh*
These "IF-THEN" flowcharts in my mind seem perpetual and the only end is for me to get fed up and "throw a dart" or for it to be decided by an extrinsic circumstance.

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at mine, the rivets seem much smaller (though I haven’t peeled back the covers).