Body Control Module Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WildernessJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealing with a 2005 Yukon Denali. I had several problems with the switches in the arms of the steering wheel. The paint had rubbed off, so I couldn't read them, half the lights were out, and one was physically damaged. I bought a whole new set and went to installing them.

This is where I screwed up: I didn't think to disconnect the battery. I was just plugging and unplugging a couple of switches, right?? As anyone that has done this job before knows, GM didn't add an extra 1/4 inch of wire to these plugs (because they are installed from the rear at the factory). I didn't pull the steering wheel, was just plugging them in using a small set of needle nose pliers. At one point, I guess I grounded out a light power wire to something, saw a small smark, and none of the lights work in any of the switches any more. Even the lights that were working in the other two switches that I had already done went out.

All the switches work fine, and it really hasn't been that big of a deal. I'm really the only one that knows the switches are even supposed to light up. Regardless, I'm sure I popped something in the Body Control Module (BCM). Does anyone have any experience troubleshooting one or rebuilding it? It is too expensive to replace a whole BCM just for a few lights, but if it is as simple as a circuitboard fuse that could be re-soldered, I'd be down for that. Anyone ever pull one apart? Where would the fuses be? I honestly don't even know where the BCM is located on this truck.

I'm thinking about upgrading to the Grant Revolution wheel, which looks nearly stock, fits the switches, and would get rid of the ugly plastic steering wheel I have now. I'd rather fix them both at the same time.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Dealing with a 2005 Yukon Denali. I had several problems with the switches in the arms of the steering wheel. The paint had rubbed off, so I couldn't read them, half the lights were out, and one was physically damaged. I bought a whole new set and went to installing them.

This is where I screwed up: I didn't think to disconnect the battery. I was just plugging and unplugging a couple of switches, right?? As anyone that has done this job before knows, GM didn't add an extra 1/4 inch of wire to these plugs (because they are installed from the rear at the factory). I didn't pull the steering wheel, was just plugging them in using a small set of needle nose pliers. At one point, I guess I grounded out a light power wire to something, saw a small smark, and none of the lights work in any of the switches any more. Even the lights that were working in the other two switches that I had already done went out.

All the switches work fine, and it really hasn't been that big of a deal. I'm really the only one that knows the switches are even supposed to light up. Regardless, I'm sure I popped something in the Body Control Module (BCM). Does anyone have any experience troubleshooting one or rebuilding it? It is too expensive to replace a whole BCM just for a few lights, but if it is as simple as a circuitboard fuse that could be re-soldered, I'd be down for that. Anyone ever pull one apart? Where would the fuses be? I honestly don't even know where the BCM is located on this truck.

I'm thinking about upgrading to the Grant Revolution wheel, which looks nearly stock, fits the switches, and would get rid of the ugly plastic steering wheel I have now. I'd rather fix them both at the same time.

illumination for those switches is fused by a 2 amp fuse somewhere on the steering column between the clockspring behind the wheel and the large connector the mates the steering column to the dash electrically. it will be a brown/white wire.

OP
OP
W

WildernessJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
illumination for those switches is fused by a 2 amp fuse somewhere on the steering column between the clockspring behind the wheel and the large connector the mates the steering column to the dash electrically. it will be a brown/white wire.

Do you have a better location than "somewhere on the steering column"? Sounds like an easy fix, then.

chistoso

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem. Can you elaborate on the location of said fuse please?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n