Bleeping QD lines to evap / fuel system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've done some work to my Evap system. Truck occasionally wreaks of fuel though so I'm back into it. I've replaced everything except the lines (I think are good) and canister. I just pulled the canister to test it.

All besides the point, these :mad::893Chainsaw-Smilie-:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: EVAP QUICK DISCONNECTS. I HATE THEM. They ALWAYS break. I've several evap lines with broken QD locks on them.

Has anybody changed these out somehow with something else. They bleeping lines are too short to fit a QD tool on there and so resort to screwdrivers and mechanical hocus pocus to get the bleeping things off and they always break.

Anybody know how to work with them? Replace them? Etc?

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dropped the tank a little while ago and put a new pump then, cleaned and restored what I could.

However, yeah, I should feel up there on top where pump goes in. Good point. It only smells when it's running though.

I felt everywhere else but top of the tank.

What do you do about the lines that have broken QDs on them? They seem to hold on fine w/o them but... no peace of mind.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dropped the tank a little while ago and put a new pump then, cleaned and restored what I could.

However, yeah, I should feel up there on top where pump goes in. Good point. It only smells when it's running though.

I felt everywhere else but top of the tank.

What do you do about the lines that have broken QDs on them? They seem to hold on fine w/o them but... no peace of mind
Are you talking about vent or vapor return lines? I would replace any broken QD's, especially pressurized fuel lines.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All fuel lines are good. The evap crap just crumbled in the hand though *sigh*. The lines are perfect but the QD's are shot. Can you buy just the QD ends for the evap lines? I was going to pickup all lines at junkyard. They're a bloody fortune new :( I'd delete the evap system before I put new lines on. It'd be several hundred bucks. At least when I last checked RockAuto.

The first is the vent for the evap canister. One of the tabs broke off the QD. The other is still there.

The second is a complete nipple on the evap canister it broke off in the QD. I need to get another canister now. (I think I will just pull a couple at junkyard and test them).

Lastly, the big line from the tank? The QD complete came off trying to remove the canister to test it. UG.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Dorman makes a selection of fuel line quick connects in different sizes and orientations, but I'm not sure if they work on evap lines. Might look up a few and give them a try.

For example:

1703546719365.png

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will have to get some of those and try them out. I would be awesome if a screw on type could be retrofit. I hat QD stuff. Except for on the fuel rail where it seems to work nicely cause you can fit a QD tool.

I'm curious, can the evap system cause the truck's fuel mileage to suffer? I assume if the tank doesn't seal right the pump won't work quite right? I'm getting 1 to 2 MPG less right now.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've never had to use a tool on evap QCs; when needed just a couple of pocket screwdrivers to unhook the latches. Maybe a little spray lube.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting experience. I went to the junkyard, pulled all the evaporative lines and looked for another evap. Only found one and it was broken same way as mine. I spoke with one of the junkyard dudes that super smart with this stuff. He told me how to fix mine and they gave me the old evap lines I pulled to fiddle with and fix.

I took the broken off fitting from the canister... reinforced it with a straw on inside diameter, glued it together with super glue on inside, then JB weld on outside. He said to then take string and reinforce the outside diameter where crack / JB weld was placed before JB weld sets up. I did that and it setup solid as a rock. If necessary I was going to clean the inside diameter with a drill bit but it didn't clog during glue process.

Then he said to take the evap lines, get the replacement Quick disconnect fittings... Heat the old hose by the fittings with a blow dryer (or heat gun) and it will expand... the old QD fittings come right out and new ones slight right in.

I have it in my head to buy a 3D printer. I'd almost like to redesign this evap canister so it has better fittings (or at least enough space for QD tool) and can swap carbon media out of it / clean it. I'm considering a small business redesigning parts and printing them or having them injection molded for our trucks. At least that's what I spend my time studying on YouTube these days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrSpork