Blackbear vs Jet performance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was seriously eyeballing the JET software myself. There just wasnt enough info out there about it, and EFI seems to have a much bigger base of people including a forum, etc. They also seem to update their product all the time.

Since BB uses EFI to make their tunes, I bought EFI V2 and got a free tune emailed to me. Now I have one license left. The reason I bought the entire package is that I want to be able to make other adjustments and not have to send the PCM back and forth.

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think anyone could buy EFI Live/Jet/Hp Tuner, etc and do the tunes themselves. IF they want to learn how to. For the rest of the people who want the benifits, but don't have the time to learn, then buying a prepackaged or a in-person tune is the best option to gain access to thier vast breadth of knowledge.

So it pretty much boils down to time and gumption. If you have both, then buy EFI Live and start to play away. If not then buy a BBTune.

EDIT: Also too, when you buy from BBTune. They have hundreds if not thousands of vehicles experience vs your doing a couple, four, maybe ten vehicles? Honestly, experience wins out for me.....

Last edited:
OP
OP
SunlitComet

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Yeah I know. I may just get a bb tune to get it going and buy EFI when I have some more cash around and ready to tinker. I have a lot more studying to do about it.

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I know. I may just get a bb tune to get it going and buy EFI when I have some more cash around and ready to tinker. I have a lot more studying to do about it.

If you buy EFI from them, you get a free tune with it.

You just use the scan software, drive around and log it, then email the log and stock tune to them.
They will look at it and adjust the tune and email it back, then you use EFI and load it to your PCM. After that you can change any part of the tune and reflash the PCM yourself as many times as you want.

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Actually, I was secretly rooting for you to buy the EFI Live and learn to play with it.

I figured that you have the time and the know how to deal with it.
Then, when your good at it. You can sell in-person tunes to the guys here. I think a few people would buy from you.
That would help offset the initial purchase price.

Then after a year or so, when your really good at it, we all can start peppering you with questions about our own tunes. Questions like, what happens when you change THIS parameter? How about this one? And this?
Is changing this going to make it better or worse?

We can use you to get real-time tips for our own tunes!

I'll use my own as an example. TM reduction. I should have gone with 100% reduction, but got the suggested 75% reduction instead. You can change those paramters in real-time, see if you like em and then post up the results!
You'd answer alot of questions for other guys here!

There's a method to my madness!!!!!! :D

OP
OP
SunlitComet

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
I hope to one day Yuk but for now becuase of money I will get a bb tune and study the EFI-LIVE till I can can get $900 for it. I already found out how Jason keeps the mods from being seen from service techs. So I will get one from him on existing pcm and when I got cash AND time will get a new un-modded pcm and EFI-LIVE and start playing since Jason will probably lock it out from view on my end. Maybe by then I will be proficient at it. I feel you madness.

I would like to do stuff like this. Maybe even make some diagnostic breakout boxes to rent out or build some adapter to ease install of wiring for some advanced add-ons I believe to be worth it like easy-mate harnesses for the alarm system I use or turn-key electrical solutions but just have no money yet.

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope to one day Yuk but for now becuase of money I will get a bb tune and study the EFI-LIVE till I can can get $900 for it. I already found out how Jason keeps the mods from being seen from service techs. So I will get one from him on existing pcm and when I got cash AND time will get a new un-modded pcm and EFI-LIVE and start playing since Jason will probably lock it out from view on my end. Maybe by then I will be proficient at it. I feel you madness.

I would like to do stuff like this. Maybe even make some diagnostic breakout boxes to rent out or build some adapter to ease install of wiring for some advanced add-ons I believe to be worth it like easy-mate harnesses for the alarm system I use or turn-key electrical solutions but just have no money yet.

See! That's what I'm talking about! Custom, custom tunes...
Here's an example that you could do.

Justin's webpage talks about a pinout he uses with efans.
It's unclear if he's talking about NBS, NNBS or our OBS trucks.
It's unclear which pinout he uses.

If you did custom tunes, and then customized them for turn-key stuff like picking out an unused line for an efan controller, that would be awesome and set you apart from the rest of the custom tuners..
Instead, we all buy BBTunes, then we all buy a seperate efan controller. Why couldn't we just pull off an unused line to a relay and have the tune take care of running our fans and be done with it? Simpler, less complex, etc.

I think that if you offered customized tunes and were open about it, you'd
do ok $$$ wise.... I think the key would be to be open about what your doing. It's all the secret hush hush stuff with tuning that drives me nuts. That's why I personally like EFI Live, it appears to have an open forum where guys can just talk tunes.

I don't have either the time or gumption to do it myself though, so I went with the experience of Black Bear Performance.

But you, my friend. I think that you have the talent to do this. Just sucks about not working right now to make it happen.

Just my $0.02.

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin justin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Attempt22