Best oil for 100K + engines?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

purple 'hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I owned a vehicle that was performance based or that required a synthetic oil then I would run it based on what the manufacture recommends. But since I have a worn out TBI 350 and a 6.0 Vortec, I use regular conventional oil (5w30 in both). Mobil brand though.

I don't see the need for a synthetic in either of my trucks. I pay $15 dollars for oil and a filter. Not a big deal imo to change oil then.

00yukongmc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
valvoline its what my dad always used and he swears by it so thats what i use

eviljester

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I use mobil 1 high milage 5/30 with a puralator pure one filter, changed every 4500 miles and i dont burn any oil between changes

I am also the manager of an oil change shop and you can start running synthetic at any time and can switch back at any time

Freedom Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 for awhile i thought i was the only one who uses amsoil but i use the amsoil filter

Nope, I was actually using Amsoil for several years before becoming a dealer. A friend owns the local Carquest and he carries it. He convinced me to try it in one of my trucks and although it took me quite sometime before I felt comfortable extending my service intervals, once I did I was fully converted

If I owned a vehicle that was performance based or that required a synthetic oil then I would run it based on what the manufacture recommends. But since I have a worn out TBI 350 and a 6.0 Vortec, I use regular conventional oil (5w30 in both). Mobil brand though.

I don't see the need for a synthetic in either of my trucks. I pay $15 dollars for oil and a filter. Not a big deal imo to change oil then.

Honestly, on an older vehicle that has lived it's life with conventional and is already on the down side of it's effective service life, I agree.

I use mobil 1 high milage 5/30 with a puralator pure one filter, changed every 4500 miles and i dont burn any oil between changes

I am also the manager of an oil change shop and you can start running synthetic at any time and can switch back at any time

This is correct in a sense. As long as it is in good operating condition with no visible leaks already present. But to switch to synthetic and then switch back to conventional being bad is just a myth.

PH99TAHOE

Reaction score
I have always run Mobil 1 synthetic in all my rides. For those of you who have an Escalade or Denali, pay close attention to the manufacturer guidelines in the owners manual. They recomend 5w30 in all cases. If 5W30 is not availible 10w30 can be used, but is not recomended.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the 6.0L were built with tighter tolerances, and higher viscosity oils in these cause oil windage on the rotating assembly robbing hp/tq and fuel mileage.

Stimpy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I use Cerma in mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wake

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I use Mobil 1 synthetic in all my vehciles, I have since the early 90s when I got my first high performance vehicle. I continue to use it even in my econobox, trucks, SUVs, beaters, etc.

What sold me on straight synthetic oil was the first time I tore the top of the engine off on my old IROC-Z. 120K miles and not a single bit of sludge in the heads, lifter valleys, etc. It was perfectly clean inside, only a light brown staining of the aluminum parts.

I've torn apart a few engines and never saw a high mileage clean engine before my synthetic bred Camaro. I've had my share though of sludged up engines running conventional oil though.

Engines run hotter nowadays, synthetic doesn't break down and cook until much higher temperatures and it sure showed in my Camaro and any engine I've been inside running synthetic oil since.

A clean engine is a happy engine.

ljo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
130K miles. German Castrol 0W-30 with Wix filter. Due for an oil change buy the monitor and is still at the full mark on the dipstick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019