Belt issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S1nemesis1s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I was got my 2004 Tahoe Z71 all back together from the coolant flush and replacing all the hoses, camps, pulleys, and belts. Started her up and I noticed the main belt looked a little "funny." I gave it some gas and it start squeeling like crazy. This was a new delco belt from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C9RN2C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I put my old one back on, worked fine....I compared the belts, both looked exactly the same in length. What gives? Bad belt?

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since the squealing is usually from slipping or the tensioner going bad it sounds like either the new belt is a little long or the old one is stretched enough not to cause the idler to be under enough load to cause noise. If it's bugging you enough I'd check the length of the belts and while it's off check the idler (I saw where you replaced pulleys wasn't sure if it included idler). As for the belt looking "funny" do you mean wobbly or ??

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a thought, see how the new belt groove side matches to the old one, you can check it by flipping it wrong side out and mate it to the old one while on the engine. JMHO and good luck.
David g.

OP
OP
S1nemesis1s

S1nemesis1s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a thought, see how the new belt groove side matches to the old one, you can check it by flipping it wrong side out and mate it to the old one while on the engine. JMHO and good luck.
David g.

Should have checked that, thanks! I just sent it back to amazon though :(. I guess when I decide to replace it again I will take my old belt to the store with me and buy it local.

OP
OP
S1nemesis1s

S1nemesis1s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since the squealing is usually from slipping or the tensioner going bad it sounds like either the new belt is a little long or the old one is stretched enough not to cause the idler to be under enough load to cause noise. If it's bugging you enough I'd check the length of the belts and while it's off check the idler (I saw where you replaced pulleys wasn't sure if it included idler). As for the belt looking "funny" do you mean wobbly or ??

I replaced the tensioner, the old belt one seems a tad smaller. I compared them though and they are super close in size, the new one may have been a "touch" longer. It was MUCH harder to mount the old belt onto the pulley system than the new one. What concerns me is that it is supposed to be the right part number...hmm.

OP
OP
S1nemesis1s

S1nemesis1s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay,
I just replaced the alternator in my truck with a reman delco 145amp one from Amazon - good price. I also replaced my idler pulley delco again. I bought a new belt, continental belt. I will be putting it on tomorrow and seeing how it does. I am hoping between the new pulley and the alternator I will have a good fit. We shall see.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you've solved it. If the belt was even a tad bit longer the tensioner may not have been able to pick up the slack, though honestly it should have. I think you'll be good now.

OP
OP
S1nemesis1s

S1nemesis1s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you've solved it. If the belt was even a tad bit longer the tensioner may not have been able to pick up the slack, though honestly it should have. I think you'll be good now.

I have high hopes. I really want this to work. I will get the belt on tomorrow and go from there. Thanks for the support and advice folks so much appreciated!

OP
OP
S1nemesis1s

S1nemesis1s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay folks the new belt did not work lol!!!

It slipped, too large. This is with new pulleys, water pump, and a new alternator 145amp.

The belt I have that works is numbered:
6pk2345

It also has the numbers 923k6

Any ideas? It's just weird. Thanks guys!