Battery voltmeter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chvyguy

Reaction score
I got in my 05 Yukon XL this morning after work and it wouldn't start. Ended up jumping it after a little bit but the battery voltmeter on the dash stayed 9 the whole 32 miles home. I go to Autozone and have them check the battery and the alternator both. Battery was 99% charged and he said that should be 100% since I had drove so much. Alternator was pushing 14 amps and he said it was good. Tech said it was probably a bad cell in the bettery. I put a new battery in yet, the voltmeter is still reading 9 for whatever reason. I drove it around a little bit to see if it would change and no luck.
Anyone else had this issue or can point me in the right direction?

fire730

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check it with a true voltmeter.

Those stepper motors in the gauge cluster are famous for breaking.

And hopefully the Autozone guy told you 14 volts not amps.

If that's true then it's most likely a bad stepper motor.

Last edited:

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you need to check all yer connections grounds and all for high resistance and make sure none of yer wiring for the charging system didnt get cooked
you have high resistance somehwere in yer charging system and its causing a huge load on the alternator

OP
OP
Chvyguy

Chvyguy

Reaction score
Check it with a true voltmeter.

Those stepper motors in the gauge cluster are famous for breaking.

And hopefully the Autozone guy told you 14 volts not amps.

If that's true then it's most likely a bad stepper motor.

I don't have a voltmeter but I will ask around at work and I am sure I can find someone. I appreciate your reply.

He may have said volts but I had been up for so long after working my 12 hour shift that I may have heard him wrong.

OP
OP
Chvyguy

Chvyguy

Reaction score
you need to check all yer connections grounds and all for high resistance and make sure none of yer wiring for the charging system didnt get cooked
you have high resistance somehwere in yer charging system and its causing a huge load on the alternator

Ok. I will start checking all of my connections and see if I come up with anything. I appreciate your reply!

OP
OP
Chvyguy

Chvyguy

Reaction score
Ever since I put the new battery in the truck has been running great. Either the stepper motor is out or the needle has broken on the voltage gauge. It moved to 14 the day after everything happened then slowly went back down to 14. The next day it was up to 19 and now it is literally pointing downward and doesn't move at all like the pin behind it is broken. Like I said the truck is running great so I will just figure out how to fix the gauge and do it when I get the spare time.

mizzouguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stepper motor is bad. Can get them on ebay and do it yourself or send it in to get repaired somehwere.

On a related note, found this a while back and thought it was hilarious.

OP
OP
Chvyguy

Chvyguy

Reaction score
The stepper motor is bad. Can get them on ebay and do it yourself or send it in to get repaired somehwere.

On a related note, found this a while back and thought it was hilarious.

Thank you @mizzouguy ! I am looking at the stepper motors right now on Ebay. Looks simple but not sure about doing the soldering myself. Might give it a try, if not I will contact the guy who replaced all of them a few years ago fir me. I am just glad to figure out what it was.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
03yukonxldenali

Latest posts