Another newbie intake question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caleb01Hoe

Reaction score
So Ive been looking into purchasing a cai for awhile now. Ive seen different brands like k&n, airaid, spectra.. (excuse any spelling errors) but this is all foreign language to me. Like anything else, there are a multitude of mixed opinions of all these different brands. Also, ive seen some say that if you dont tune your truck the cai isnt really all that worth it. Im just trying to verify that im not wasting my money if i purchase this. Help with the choice of brand and any input on the whole ordeal would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance guys. ~Caleb

Last edited:

Z-56 Hoe

What do I do????
Reaction score
My wife and I perfer AFE or Volant they are all about the same Black bear performance did dyno test of all on same rig and test were about the same! I perfer a sealed box to he with heat and a dry filter element I don't like oil filters!

I know the NNBS's seem. To need robe tuned after a CAI is added to benefit from it. I haven't noticed it withtheNBS's but both of ours are tuned!

OP
OP
Caleb01Hoe

Caleb01Hoe

Reaction score
My wife and I perfer AFE or Volant they are all about the same Black bear performance did dyno test of all on same rig and test were about the same! I perfer a sealed box to he with heat and a dry filter element I don't like oil filters!

I know the NNBS's seem. To need robe tuned after a CAI is added to benefit from it. I haven't noticed it withtheNBS's but both of ours are tuned!

So in a nutshell, your saying that all CAI's are about the same and that I do not need a tune to benefit from the CAI? Just trying to clarify.

---------- Post added at 11:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 PM ----------

Feel free to add in your 2 cents guys, i'd love to collect as much info on this before I make my decision.

Phantomx55

Slow
Reaction score
Yea they are all about the same, I believe the airraid Jr showed the highest numbers in the blackbear test, but it was a minimal difference. You won't notice any difference in power without a tune, just a much throatier sound from the engine. You will need a tune for the intake to really gain any HP

OP
OP
Caleb01Hoe

Caleb01Hoe

Reaction score
Yea they are all about the same, I believe the airraid Jr showed the highest numbers in the blackbear test, but it was a minimal difference. You won't notice any difference in power without a tune, just a much throatier sound from the engine. You will need a tune for the intake to really gain any HP

Understood. So if I was to buy the intake now and wait until next summer to do the BB tune would it hurt? Or should I just wait until the tune and do all the upgrades at once?

Z-56 Hoe

What do I do????
Reaction score
It won't hurt it it just won't really get a lot out of it until then. Now my wife's got tuned like two months after we got it and I put a CAI on it right away and on cool dry days before the tune it really seemed to wake up according to her.

OP
OP
Caleb01Hoe

Caleb01Hoe

Reaction score
Got it. I think I'm just going to wait until I can do the tune, CAI, and other things all at once. Thanks guys I appreciate the help.

Screwd up 6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the airaid jr (modular intake tube). As metioned above it did net the most gains on the ones tested and it is probably the cheapest out there. I got mine for $140 shipped to the door with the filter. I think the tube only is about $100.

The tune will make more of a noticeable difference than the intake, but the intake will still will make a difference with stock PCM...it is just minimal. You computer will learn the slightly better air/fuel ratio. You will notice a difference as soon as you install it, but it is minimal. The sound is what is most noticeable in my opinion.

Don't get discouraged tho and not purchase thinking you need a tune to see a difference. All performance parts function better when a custom tune is built to accommodate the maximum performance of the parts, but it is not necessary at all. All the performance parts are like a piece of the puzzle and they work better together in most cases (ie: Intake, headers, tune, muffler etc) but most quick bolt ons will not net more than 5-10 tops. Unless you consider a blower bolt on haha

Last edited:
OP
OP
Caleb01Hoe

Caleb01Hoe

Reaction score
Get the airaid jr (modular intake tube). As metioned above it did net the most gains on the ones tested and it is probably the cheapest out there. I got mine for $140 shipped to the door with the filter. I think the tube only is about $100.

The tune will make more of a noticeable difference than the intake, but the intake will still will make a difference with stock PCM...it is just minimal. You computer will learn the slightly better air/fuel ratio. You will notice a difference as soon as you install it, but it is minimal. The sound is what is most noticeable in my opinion.

Don't get discouraged tho and not purchase thinking you need a tune to see a difference. All performance parts function better when a custom tune is built to accommodate the maximum performance of the parts, but it is not necessary at all. All the performance parts are like a piece of the puzzle and they work better together in most cases (ie: Intake, headers, tune, muffler etc) but most quick bolt ons will not net more than 5-10 tops. Unless you consider a blower bolt on haha

Ahh I understand. The aftermarket performance parts will slightly increase performance however the way to take full advantage of them is to get a tune. Okay, thanks man I appreciate the help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nyc2011Denali