Another Cranking issue.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cheebs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 02 Denali does not start on the first or second try always the third and then as if there was no issue. I checked the fuel pressure regulator and it did not have gas coming out of it. I replaced the fuel filter. Other than that it shows no other fuel issues. no surging or bogging it pulls strong. Battery is strong not new. the only thing I did notice was that when the battery was unplugged when I put the battery back it started back with no issues. Anything else I can check before I replace the fuel pump?

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do a fuel pressure check at the fuel rail and catch it hard starting and note the fuel pressure. This is a stereotypical symptom of a fuel going to die. They can do it for a month then die or they can do this hard starting for many months and then just one day dead, totally dead. How many miles on the pump? THey typically last 125k or so.

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 02 Denali does not start on the first or second try always the third and then as if there was no issue. I checked the fuel pressure regulator and it did not have gas coming out of it. I replaced the fuel filter. Other than that it shows no other fuel issues. no surging or bogging it pulls strong. Battery is strong not new. the only thing I did notice was that when the battery was unplugged when I put the battery back it started back with no issues. Anything else I can check before I replace the fuel pump?

Remove the fuel pressure regulator from the fuel rail completely and check the o rings. Especially the smaller inner o ring. Those have a tendency to blow out and cause the exact symptoms you're describing. Which you would never find by just pulling the vacuum line to check for fuel spurts.

First do that and then let me know what you find @cheebs !

OP
OP
C

cheebs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Remove the fuel pressure regulator from the fuel rail completely and check the o rings. Especially the smaller inner o ring. Those have a tendency to blow out and cause the exact symptoms you're describing. Which you would never find by just pulling the vacuum line to check for fuel spurts.

First do that and then let me know what you find @cheebs !
I just replaced the regulator it got better but did not fix it totally.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE

Latest posts