Amateur install.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

maddogoif

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm fairly new but I've already done the introduction. I recently bought an 05 Tahoe with an alpine INA-W900 touch screen nav/media player already installed. The problem is it seems that the previous owner installed it themselves. Many of the steering wheel console buttons are reversed or not working at all. Also the buttons sometimes decide they don't want to work at all. Anyone have any ideas what I should look for to fix this? A shop would charge 200 just to map the wiring and diagnostic.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a module wired to the radio that controls the steering wheel controls, it is either faulty or wired incorrectly.

OP
OP
M

maddogoif

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks. Where would I find this module and where would I find the propper wiring.

blaqout

King Yukon
Reaction score
Some of the steering wheel modules require programming. You have to hold a button on the module while pressing the remote button on the steering wheel. There are a couple of types. I have used the PAC SWI-RC

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is not hard.

Set parking brake.
Turn ignition
Put in 1
Tilt wheel all way down
Pop dash off starting top left.
Then you have 4 1/4" screw but heads. Boom. Takes maybe 1.5min if your slow. I can have these radios out in a hot 20seconds with electric rut driver. It is nothing to it.

OP
OP
M

maddogoif

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here is what I'm looking at after taking out the frame. Seems odd that there's weld marks on the top right. Doesn't seem I can remove the radio separately.

u6u4apub.jpg

zu3uby3y.jpg

Thanks for the help so far. I'll update how it pans out.

blaqout

King Yukon
Reaction score
What's holding the radio in? Did they just jam it up in there? Normally there is an install kit that mounts the radio to the "radio cage" You should be able to slide it out with some elbow grease.

OP
OP
M

maddogoif

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I tug and pull on it so far and it tries to pull the AC consol along with it. Haven't loosened anything up yet because I have a feeling somebody had made my job slightly more difficult for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GinoTahoe