Alternator info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Battery light and "service battery charging system" came on. I'm going to guess it's the alternator because I have two XS Power batteries.

Has anyone upgraded to an aftermarket alternator? If so, which one did you get?

Thanks

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mechman but it takes like 30 days to get one, you can add the newer one as noted above just be sure the pulley is the same some have a clutch pulley and some have a standard pulley. they use the same 2 pin connector.

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd love a
This topic literally came up today. The 2015+ 2500 pickups offer a 220amp alternator that you can install in your truck.

This thread addresses the entire upgrade
https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/charging-system-upgrade.125633/

Appreciate the link and info. I'll look over that thread and see how difficult it is, I'm electronically challenged to say the least. Looking for more of a plug and play at this point.

mechman but it takes like 30 days to get one, you can add the newer one as noted above just be sure the pulley is the same some have a clutch pulley and some have a standard pulley. they use the same 2 pin connector.

I saw that and was pretty disappointed. Any thoughts on DC Power? They can have one ready in a week, which sucks because I need it now. Or how about JS Alternators?

I'm going to call around tomorrow morning to see if any parts store has any thing in stock or what the eta for one would be. Looking for ACDelco 25877026 for now.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know about those other brands, I bought a couple generic ones off ebay and had problems with them since I got the mechman no issue's I still keep the stock one in a box just in case I need it, the newer gm ones are made just like the mechman so if you need one right away I would see what the parts store have in stock for the newer trucks, or local junkyard. sometimes the dealer price for most newer trucks isn't that bad either, one thing you can do is ask the dealer parts department if they can give you the shop price or fleet price, some will all you have to do is ask.

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know about those other brands, I bought a couple generic ones off ebay and had problems with them since I got the mechman no issue's I still keep the stock one in a box just in case I need it, the newer gm ones are made just like the mechman so if you need one right away I would see what the parts store have in stock for the newer trucks, or local junkyard. sometimes the dealer price for most newer trucks isn't that bad either, one thing you can do is ask the dealer parts department if they can give you the shop price or fleet price, some will all you have to do is ask.

I appreciate the info and will call the dealer tomorrow to see if they have any in stock as well as the local parts stores. I'll definitely ask about the shop prices too, thanks.
I like the idea of having both Mechman so will get in touch with them as well.
Appreciate the help, have a great night

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First called the dealer, couldn't do it. $630+. No discounts available, said it wasn't marked up to begin with. Yeah, OK.
Called a couple of other parts stores and all they wanted to do was sell some random brands and sway me away from the part # specified and the wait went from a day to some time next week.
Last call, scored what I wanted and they got it delivered today haha, pretty happy about that.
Also, Tony @ Mechman got back to me pretty quick as well. I'm pondering ordering one "just to have a spare" we'll see.

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It doesn't get any easier than that. Maybe 20 minutes.
Through a charge on the battery for a bit while it finally stopped raining and its all good.
What an easy platform to work on.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ya $630 is much steeper than I expected, dam I bought a used oem one off a 2500 on ebay for $100 a while back

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was pretty shocked at how much they were asking and saying there wasn't much if any mark up. Yeah ok hahaha.
I wasn't real keen on buying a used one just because of not knowing the history but, I found a 300 amp model, not for a $100 more like $240 (I think).
It's running great now so, I'll be shopping around for a spare in the near future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo

Latest posts