Air intake reviews/comparisons?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wanting to give the 2016 Denali a little boost and would love a bit more growl out of it...

Want to start small, air intake. Not sure what to get. Any good comparison sites with dynos etc? Not really interested in crazy manufacturing claims...

Thanks!

Oh also, do these void the warranty? How do dealers feel about them?

Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone 7s using Tapatalk

rattmobbins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No official comparisons that I know of.

NorCal SS says the AFE makes quite a bit of power on the 6.2, Black Bear says the Airaid Jr. makes power and is cheap.

No aftermarket part can void your warranty unless the dealer can PROVE the part caused whatever part you need covered under warranty to fail. Google "magnuson moss warranty act"

chicagofan00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just picked up a K&N CAI this week for my Tahoe and so far am happy with it. I've noticed slightly better throttle response and definitely a lot more growl out of the 5.3L V8. I thought about going with the Airaid CAI but decided to go the cheaper route with K&N just due to it being my very first time with one and wasn't sure how I'd like it. The K&N installed very easily considering I am not mechanically inclined at all...took just under an hour for myself.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most cold air intakes are fairly close in power increases. Dont fret over the comparison so much find a good reputable brand that has an intake you think looks good. Stay away from ebay junk if you can. Ive used several ebay intakes over the years and they have all functioned just like the higher priced brand name intakes but they dont last as long. What rattmobbins says is true about the warranty however ask your dealership you deal with FIRST. They can initially decline warranty work if they come up with some bogus claim about the part you installed. Then you will have to go prove they are just making shit up then they will cover the work. In that length of time you will be out a vehicle. Essentially they can still deny anything they want if they can come up with bs reason why they wont just as long as you dont fight it. Doing your own oil changes is also subject to this. If your engine fails and they deny the warranty work saying they have no record that the oil was changed in proper intervals. Then you say i did all the oil changes myself during proper intervals. Then they will counter with well you must have not used the correct oil. Blah blah blah and so forth. Eventually yes they will be required to cover the work but it may be very aggrivating and time consuming. OR you can just keep your factory intake and put it back on before any dealership work.

rattmobbins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I've modified suspension, engine, wheels, brakes, etc. on pretty much every vehicle I've ever owned (30+ in the last 20 years or so) and I've never had a single issue with getting warranty work done.

That's dealing with 15 to 20 different car/truck brands and just as many different dealers. Not 1 issue.

Just sayin. :D

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^
No arguement there
There are some good dealerships out there and you probably found some good ones. There are some dbag dealerships out there aswell. Ive found my share of both. Lol and so has my boss at work. He just had to cover part of the cost on a new turbo and part of his engine on his car. Bone stock but he was doing his own oil changes. They denied covering the full cost based on that and he fell for it.

rattmobbins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^
No arguement there
There are some good dealerships out there and you probably found some good ones. There are some dbag dealerships out there aswell. Ive found my share of both. Lol and so has my boss at work. He just had to cover part of the cost on a new turbo and part of his engine on his car. Bone stock but he was doing his own oil changes. They denied covering the full cost based on that and he fell for it.

Sheesh, that blows. Yeah I guess our dealers in NM are more lenient than in other parts of the country. Lucky us! :)

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya thats why anytime someone asks about warranty issues i say ask the dealer. If they tell you ya we dont have a problem with it then turn around and try to tell you some bs. You have already covered yourself.

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with airaid for two reasons.

First was; if you look at the tuning companies that run their own "custom" intake, they are just airaid Jr. Intakes with a custom sticker put where the airaid sticker goes.

Second, black bear did a dyno test with results and posted e graphs for the pre 15 trucks and the air raid came out on top.

So for the 1-2 hp/tq here and there difference between all the different brands out there, I went with the one that the major tuners have elected to rebrand as their own.

OP
OP
C

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so airraid it is. Thoughts on best place to buy and oiled or dry filter? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone 7s using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia