Adding a bose amp and subwoofer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Harrison256

Reaction score
So I have a tahoe with either no audio or the UQ3 audio package but either way it didnt come with a center console so has no sub and amp.

The console I bought already has the bose sub and amp in it so I'm wondering since I have the PAC audio interface that allows me to interface (swapping head units to a pioneer), would it be fairly easy to add the bose sub and amp into the system? Hate to carry around the extra weight for nothing.

What connections will need to be made to the amp on a tahoe that never had a bose system in it

UPDATE:

So I figured it all out finally, needless to say it was a small pain in the ass but I found it totally worth it. I still dont have the console mounted up but I tossed it in the back for a test run and it sounded goood (with the bass up a little on the EQ and sub volume on +4). Louder than I ever remember it getting in my 04 Escalade. So I thought I'd go ahead and post how I did it here. It's not going to be very detailed but it should be enough info to get it done.

-------------------------------

*****I am in no way a mechanic, electrician, or even remotely intelligent. Take my advice at your own risk. Your experience may vary.

**Note that these instructions are if you want to utilize the SUB AND AMP ONLY, with no bose outputs to the door speakers. Although it easily possible with more work (and closer look at the pinout diagram)

-------------------------------
-After you've got your sub and amp console your going to want to flip it on its side (gently) and take a look at the 40 something pin harness sticking out of the bottom. It should correspond to this.

rH2XMOP.gif

-Now from this diagram you need to create your RCAs for the amp to hook up (from the headunit preouts). The diagram has low level inputs for each of the 4 quadrants (Front Left, Front Right, Rear Right, Rear Left) While you might be able to get away with just tapping one of these inputs for your RCAs (honestly have no idea if it would change the sound), I went ahead and combined all of the low level inputs into a universal left (white) and right (red). The diagram below should help with which wires go where. The labels next to the wires (ex C9) correspond to the diagram above.

8uO3lIE.jpg

-Now just match up the wires, splice them together and connect up the RCAs and your done with the Signal Inputs, It should look something like this when all of the splicing is said and done...

OFVicc6.jpg

-And once you put your RCA leads on it will look something like this, and then your done with the inputs! (whew)

IGh7SGj.jpg

-Alright now heres where things get tricky, only because my wires are no longer labeled and I didn't take pictures. You have 3 important wires remaining; the REM (Radio On Signal); amp power, and amp ground.

-The remote wire is easy, its wire B6 on the pinout diagram and is conveniently colored hot pink. Pull that wire out and run it to the Remote wire from your headunit.

-Amp Ground - Also pretty easy, its going to be wire D5, one of the two thickest wires on the harness and is Black w/ White Stripe. Go ahead and take that wire and run it to a ground.

-Lastly, BATT+. On the harness there are several different power wires, they're all colored orange. Because I already took all of my labels off all I can tell you is that the Amp positive wire is the thickest orange wire on the harness. I had a police accessory harness so I just tapped into that but you will probably need to run the BATT+ wire to the battery terminal and put a fuse on it, or tap into another worthy power line (rear aux power maybe?).

Anyways after you do all of that it should be done. Just plug in your RCAs from your headunits sub pre out and call it a day..

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Harrison256

Reaction score
bump

Any thoughts guys? I have the stock center console here ready to swap in place of my jump seat. I know everyone is saying its stupid to try to add a stock sub on other forums but it came free with the console and I dont have a budget for a real one.

I have an aftermarket head unit but only Preouts for the subwoofer, no room to wire it in on the head unit amp.

I know it has to be possible, I just need to get the RCA signal to the subwoofer and run power to the amp, but having trouble locating the wiring diagram for the harness that comes out of the new center console I just bought.

Basically I just need that wiring diagram and maybe any advice or if anyone knows if what I'm trying is indeed not possible for whatever reason.

Thoughts?

alc5m

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dont even go thru the hassle

but a nice ten and toss it in the back and you'll have miles better sound than the stock woofer

save a bit and scope around on craigslist, you'll be much happier with after market, trust me

OP
OP
H

Harrison256

Reaction score
I'm already over budget and never had an intention to add subs to begin with. Merely doing this because it's free functionality.

Anyways, I figured it out (with the incredible help of kses123) and its really not a big deal to hook it up. Its about as complicated as hooking up any other amp, just that instead you have to turn 4 different speaker (FR FL RR RL) low level inputs (+ and - for each speaker input) into two overall low level inputs (Left and Right, + and - for each) which will become the Red and White RCA's and wire then simply plug into the headunit sub pre-out . The rest is the same as any other amp, theres REM (Pink), Amp Power (Thick Orange), and Amp Ground (Thick Black). I will be trying to post it up when all is finished since when I was researching myself all I could find were topics where people said to just to give up and put a real sub in. Until then if anyone else is attempting this they can feel free to PM me with questions.

Screwd up 6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Post up your results and stuff. I know many will bash the idea, but it seems a lot are just stubborn on their ways and only want factory bose and no one ever seems to have an answer. Even make a write up for others if you have time.

gettygatz4life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a question I just put a sub and amp in my hoe I wire it up myself I got a little lost with the blue rem wire to my radio harness I don't know which wire or the color on my 01 tahoe to connect the blue rem to I did the amp with no problems I just need help on the blue remote wire and which wire to hook it up to on my radio harness

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

scoobyxj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet. The fact that you're able to drive the OEM amp with an aftermarket deck on the low lvl outputs tells me I can drive an aftermarket amp with the OEM (Bose) HU without a converter harness.

Leoo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Very helpful i bought a center console for my single cab silverado and this helped me hook it up sounds great thanks alot