Add-a-Leaf - Wheels not centered in wheel well

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

intlhouseofdan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all.

I have a '97 Yukon that had a saggy rear so I followed a guide found on this forum to add a short Rough Country leaf to the packs. All went well but when I put the truck back on the ground I noticed that the wheels weren't sitting in the center of the wheel well anymore. I have since driven it about 100 miles and everything should be settled by now but its still off.

I stopped by my local mechanic shop and he told me that o was wrong using an AAL and should have went with blocks instead because now (he assumes) my pinion angles are off and the wheels aren't centered.

I was told by a friend I might need new shackles to put the rear axle where it needs to be.

I will attach a before and after shot. Any thoughts or information would be greatly appreciated.

IHOD

Attachments

• received_1495542454096105.jpg
    received_1495542454096105.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 11
  • received_1495533707430313.jpg
    received_1495533707430313.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 11

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
well if they were sagging they should have been replaced as whole packs and both at the same time. aal's probably stiffened one half of the spring pack more then the and as a result knocked it off center. at least that is my first observation. any particular reason you did not replace the spring packs? also pinion angle refers to the angle of the drive shaft to yoke/pinion angles as long as the angle on each end is the same you should have nothing to worry about. I fail to see how that un-centers the wheels in the wells. Perhaps i am missing something?

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, lifting the rear changes the pinion angle. Adding the AAL should not change the location of the axle though. The location of the centering pin has not changed...has it?