Accessory Drive Belt Maintenance?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should the engine accessory drive belt be routinely changed?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should the engine accessory drive belt be routinely changed?
unless you are talking about a k2xx then the gmt900's only have a serpentine belt & ac belt and yes they should be changed, probably not as often as the dealer will try to talk you into though, it's easy money for them.
but you can safely go a long ways, my preference is to change them about every 50k
if yours looks cracked or has edge wear or thread coming out of the seams then it's probably time for a new one.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
unless you are talking about a k2xx then the gmt900's only have a serpentine belt & ac belt and yes they should be changed, probably not as often as the dealer will try to talk you into though, it's easy money for them.
but you can safely go a long ways, my preference is to change them about every 50k
if yours looks cracked or has edge wear or thread coming out of the seams then it's probably time for a new one.
Book maintenance interval is 100K. I change mine every 50K or whenever I have to remove it for something.

Last edited:

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen mention of the ribs wearing out on newer belts before you see cracking/fraying.
Someone linked it before, a belt wear guage that you hold against the ribs. I guess the wear is not super obvious...

So I plan to throw my new belt on soon. I left it off figuring my original was in good shape, but I suspect it's due since everything else was original that it's connected to..

Last edited:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would suggest a 50K interval, unless unusual wear is observed. Also, consider changing out the tension pully as well, when changing the belt, as the spring tension decreases over time, and it is a relatively inexpensive part.

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The main belt doesn't look bad other than glazing but the ac belt has chunks missing.
Funny that Rock Auto order ships from my state so that should be quick.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
More precisely replace w/ a Gates green guaranteed for life kit or OEM. If you lose an accessory belt on a downhill mountain road your gonna have to drive into the side of the mountain to stop.

You’ll lose the power brakes & power steering & won’t be able to see from the steam of the motor overheating due to water pump getting kneecaped.

Power steering and brakes supplies about 90% of the leverage / power assist. You’ll snap the brake pedal before you get this 3T monster to stop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
microfoxdev