AC not cooling - likely compressor, could it just be clutch?

Discussion in 'Engine & Drivetrain' started by DonnieBrasco, May 11, 2018.

1. DonnieBrasco

DonnieBrasco Full Access Member

Name:
    Thomas
    My AC is not cooling. I got a can of refrigerant to recharge it, but then I noticed that the compressor doesn't seem to be kicking on.

My questions are...

(1) How do I confirm if the compressor is totally dead?

(2) Is it possible to replace the clutch only or is it an all or nothing type deal?

I'm just trying to find out if I just need to replace the whole compressor, or if just the clutch is bad and if it's possible to just replace that? Thanks.

2. Doubeleive

Doubeleive Elite Member Supporting Member

Name:
    Wes
    cheapest method unless you got a buddy with a gauge is just buy the refill with the gauge and see what the pressure reads. go from there. 99% of the time either the refrigerant leaked out or the compressor kicked the bucket which will then usually either kick the belt off or will make horrible noises like it is being raped inside by a 50lb metal gorilla.

chrmbly likes this.
  3. DonnieBrasco

Name:
    Thomas
    So the belt is still on the compressor just fine. And it's not making any crazy noises. But if I connect the can, and it says it's empty, and then I recharge it (with likely a full can), and the compressor still won't turn on, didn't I just waste a whole can? Because I will have to flush/drain the system before replacing the compressor, correct? Thanks dude.

4. Randy Whistler

Randy Whistler Member

Name:
    Randy
    Yes. No. Maybe. Sorry, but there's no easy way other than do what you're doing. Keep in mind, even if the can is empty, the system may have been empty and might need more than one can to charge up. The compressor will not run until it reaches a certain PSI internally, and you might have to dump more in to satisfy it. I had a land yacht years ago that had a similar problem. The dealership wanted $800 to fix it. I went to WallyWorld, invested in a hose/gauge set and a couple of cans of Freon - worked until I traded it in.

And, yes, if you open the system for any reason, you'll have to vacuum pump it before refilling, after you've fixed whatever the issue might be.

5. DonnieBrasco

Name:
    Thomas
    Ok, this is great to know. I did not realize that it wouldn't run if it's dead ass empty. I'll recharge it this weekend and see if I can get it cooling. Huge thanks.

6. Doubeleive

Name:
    Wes
    ya it might take a couple cans, it has have a specific amount of pressure before it will kick on and it still needs to be full for best performance

DonnieBrasco likes this.
  7. Doubeleive

Name:
    Wes
    and if it is not filling up then it's pissing out somewhere in which case you will need to get the refrigerant with leak detection so you can find out where the hole is or what seal is bad

DonnieBrasco likes this.
  8. M1Gunner

M1Gunner Full Access Member

Name:
    Jason
    Definitely would’ve started by checking the fuse, power/ground to the connector at the compressor. Or even jumping the relay that powers the compressor to see if it kicks on...

If it was leaking out it would’ve been kicking in and off the compressor noticeably more and more as the refridgerant leaked out.

9. swathdiver

swathdiver Full Access Member

Name:
    James
    I don't know about these GMT800s but he 900s can see everything about the AC through an advanced scan tool. The Tech2 can see AC codes, pressures, temperatures, and even command the compressor on and off for testing, etc.

But without it, the can with the little gauge is the way to go for a first test. Years ago I too wanted to just replace the compressor clutch without tearing into the system but it was never possible on those old A and G body cars. Had to change the compressor and accumulator at least.

10. Scottydoggs

Scottydoggs Full Access Member

Name:
    Scott
    if its dry it leaked out, sooooo, best to either find the oiled up dirty wet spot thats on one one of the lines, or at a sensor. fix that leak, then refill it, other wise its just a waste of money for it to work for 2-3 days or less.

if you cant find that oiled up wet spot, use a can of dye refill, at least your learning where the leak is that way. not 100% waste of money.