A Word To The Wise When Doing Spark Plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea I went with MSD wires in mine. Getting those original, seized boots off the plugs were such a pain especially with those metal heat shields. I needed to get someone with more muscle to break the passenger rear free from the plug. Took a longer pair of vise grips (to prevent slipping) and moving the dipstick tube to finally get it, but it finally gave up the fight. I was surprised the plug didn't crack during this ordeal.
You better believe anti-seize was used during re-assembly.

Apply dielectric grease to the inside the rubber boot and ceramic portion of the plug will help to prevent the boot from sticking/bonding to the plug. Additionally, the insulating (non-conductive) properties of the grease (when applied in this manner) will minimize the potential for the spark to 'escape' the boot and ground out against the head/exhaust, which reduces the amount of voltage going through the spark plug and igniting the fuel mixture.

Yessir; I use a tiny bit of anti-seize up high on the threads and keeping it away from the electrode so the plug doesn't seize in the aluminum head and dielectric grease in the boots to make the wires come off better. I also found MSD wires were less likely to have the metal piece stay on the plug which I had a problem with when using AC Delco wires.

OP
OP
N

nick0789

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Apply dielectric grease to the inside the rubber boot and ceramic portion of the plug will help to prevent the boot from sticking/bonding to the plug. Additionally, the insulating (non-conductive) properties of the grease (when applied in this manner) will minimize the potential for the spark to 'escape' the boot and ground out against the head/exhaust, which reduces the amount of voltage going through the spark plug and igniting the fuel mixture.

I misspoke when referring to the anti-seize, my mistake. A small amount of anti-seize was used on the threads and dielectric grease in the boot/on the ceramic portion of the plugs.
I must have had my mind set on anti-seize when referring to seized boots earlier.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I misspoke when referring to the anti-seize, my mistake. A small amount of anti-seize was used on the threads and dielectric grease in the boot/on the ceramic portion of the plugs.
I must have had my mind set on anti-seize when referring to seized boots earlier.
We just don't like anything to be seizing up on us.

K9trainer1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
After fighting to get the plug wires off I found the best way for me was to unplug from the coil first and then twist the plug wire at the plug and spin it all the way around freeing the sized plug and then pull it off.