99 yukon whining and clank diagnosis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dillon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently got a 99 yukon and am trying to diagnose some noise. First off whenever the suv is in motion I hear a whining noise mainly at lower speeds is when its audible. Also when pulling into the drive way ot was stopped on a incline an when accelerated forward there was a clank in the front end and this was repeatable. I havnt had the chance to jack it up and check out the front end but am fairly new to 4wd and was wondering what you guys think. I plan on checking u-joints and also have heard it could be pinion gear. any input would be helpful and any tests you guys can reccomend would be great. When i get it jacked up hopefully tomorrrow im going to check u-joints, fluid and wheel movement letme knowif theres anything else.

bigfootchiro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s hard to diagnose noises; however, I’d look at transmission and transfer case first. Whining could be pump whine, bearings, etc, clanking could be the infamous slip yoke, and so much more. Take it to a reputable transmission shop and have them check. They usually do it for free. Make sure they drop the pan and inspect the internals.

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:welcome:Dillon to the forum from Georgia Dawg country, glad to have you. As previous post by Nathan, it's hard to pinpoint a noise sometimes. When you mentioned pulling forward from an incline and a clunking noise, I believe I would check the left motor mount. You might be hearing the fan blade hitting the shroud.
Check the motor mounts by holding the brakes in D, lightly accelerate if noise appears you know where it is. JMHO and good luck.
David g............... :2cents:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645