98 Tahoe Cat's bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reloder28

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Comedy of errors chain of events:
Jan 2013 - CSPI went out, new MFPI installed $800
Jan 2013 - Cracked head dumping coolant into the exhaust - $2200
Dec 2013 - Threw code, major tuneup - $500 Threw another code en route home from repair shop. Returned to shop and the code read "right bank rich" so said the mechanic. He said it meant the converters were bad due to the fuel rich situation prior to tune-up. SES still illuminated. Engine runs fine except it's a slug.

I began to wonder if possibly the cat's survived ($800..ouch!!) and maybe the O2 sensors were the culprits of the new code.

Opinions?

P.S. what's next? Geez. I think it's time for a Toyota.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Did you atleast get lubed? No reasonable shop would charge that much.. a aftermarket cat runs $50 or couple hundred if you want a magnaflow then $50 bill to weld it in

kcb37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are probably quoting both cats, and the full pipe from manifold to the flange behind the cats.
Labor, would still be pretty high though.

If it's a rich code that has nothing to do with that cat. I will give them though that will destroy the cat.

Run it by auto zone or advance, etc... have them read the code.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
For those price Gzes he got lubed all right. Would suggest you list all possible codes you know of and if possible go to a different shop with a good scanner that can monitor the O2's. Front and back. You should know right away if the cats have s*** rel bad or if the front sensor are screwed up. If you can post a pic or video of the waveform monitoring or explain each one here.

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL $2200 for a head swap ... You could have done aftermarket heads for that price.

spanish

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
code p0430

Hello everyone!! , I'm new here, I have a 1999 GMC Yukon with 147000 miles and just a week ago the engine light came on , I went to the auto zone and they pull P0430 from the scanner. they said it could be a bad cat or o2 sensor bank 2... I thinking I should star with the cheap fix first..my question is which side is bank 2 . I have two pipes driver and passenger side. please help anyone !

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
bank 2 is the right side cylinders. The p0430 code is referring to the post-cat sensor furthest back mounted aft of the converter for the right bank. Not the sensor mounted just in back of the exhaust manifold. You will find that sensor about 2-3 feet in front of the muffler. It will be the only one mound on the muffler section pipes.

kcb37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind it is not quite as cut and dry as wave forms.
Sunlit is correct, however on a cold start both front and rear O2's will move. They should both be a little lazy, once you go to closed loop, the front should move high low, the rear should stay steady.
But again on the gas they will both move.
Once warm you are looking for the rear to not follow the front.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Uh, there is still more to it then that. That it why a requested possible pics or a detailed explanation on what he see's on the scanner.

2000tahoeZ71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get the magnaflow cat system (new Y pipe and both cats) for about 350 on Amazon. Four brand new AC Delco O2 sensors for about 120 on there. I then gave a muffler guy 150 to install them simply because I had just done the lower intake gaskets and MPFI swap that day and was tired of ****ing with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JIMEMAC33