97 Yukon: No LB Headlights, tilt wheel seems to have caused...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JDWX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
1997 Yukon, 5.7

Low beam headlights became intermittent and proper function was depending on position of tilt column. Eventually complete failure of low beam function ONLY.

The Daytime Running Lights (which operate continuously when vehicle is running) still allow a dimmed headlight if I just drive with parking lights on.

High beams still work properly.

I don't believe it's the "actual" multifunction switch itself, but is a wire from orin relation to it within the tilt area of the column.

Inspection of the harness within the column showed nothing obvious. But, it was a hurried inspection. And at that time I was less knowledgeable of the operation of this system (it's obviously still a unclear to me, but I'm getting there)

I'm assuming (at this point, after much anguish) that an ignition feed through the column and/or multi function switch, isn't grounding the input on the DRL module to switch the relay to allow low beam operation. Testing this soon by grounding out the ignition input of the module. ? :)

Anyone dealt with this? Hoping to save my diagnostic kung fu (headache frustration level) for other issues :)

Thanks for any input whatsoever :)

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
print and use this

Quad Headlamp
Electrical Diagrams
icon_note_blank.gif
Notes

Quad Headlamps (Part 1 Of 2)

icon_note_blank.gif
Notes

Quad Headlamps (Part 2 Of 2)

icon_note_blank.gif
Notes

Daytime Running Lamps

OP
OP
J

JDWX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you VERY MUCH for taking time to link these. I have Alldata and already have them printed out pouring over them as we speak (and much of the morning, lol). :)

Hence improving "some" understanding of it. :)

Per the diagram, I'm just not sure "what" is in the column.

Debating whether disconnecting the DRL module will make them work. Gathering my thoughts on it, as it's 30 degrees out and should have a game plan, lol..

Thanks again, very appreciated. :)

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
anything with C266 connector is in column. low beam contact on drl could be burned out or dimmer. especially if the the drl light on dash goes out and relay clicks when lights are turned on

OP
OP
J

JDWX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good input. I was "sorta" thinking that was the case with C266... Only one related wire in C266 that I'm seeing in the schematic, that would be the ".8 tan" ? It's at the Headlamp Dimmer Switch. Sound right?

The DRL module is a possible, I was leaning to a wire/connection, as the problem started when the headlights would work depending on the angle of tilt in the steering wheel. I could move it up and down and the lights would go on and off.

If I "really" wanna fix this, I'm gonna have to dissect the column and wires somewhat I guess. Trying to get an understanding of how this thing works to dial in what wires to really test out. :(

Thanks again! Appreciated :)

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
sounds right but i meant drl relay next to turn signal flasher. but if it happens with moving column the entire multiswitch must be replaced. and you get bright new lettering too.

OP
OP
J

JDWX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah, I pretty much figured new Multi function. Being seriously poor right now, I was hoping I could repair a wire at the tilting area. Seems that would be the basic issue and cheaper than purchasing a new switch... But, ya gotta do what ya gotta do. That's what I'd recommend to someone as well. Just trying to be thrifty :)

I see ebay ones for 60 or so bucks, hopefully useable....

Thanks! (again) :)

blinger069

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Had the same problem when I bought my 97 Yukon a few mths ago. The seller did not even know there was a problem, said just keep the headlight switch in the middle (which was just park & DRLs). There was one wire rotted out of the multi switch, did not realize this until I already had the new switch & was getting ready to change it. Changed the switch out & problem solved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Azwood12