96 yukon 4x4 questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2doorfiend

Reaction score
howdy!

I have a few questions.

I want to get long tube headers.
If i remove cats will it throw any codes?
If i remove the cats, will just mufflers be enough back pressure? (flowmaster super 40s)
-I have a BB tune, if they do throw codes or engine light, anyone else have them magic it away?
If i get headers without egr port, or whatever that thing is, will it throw a code?

also, anyone have a OBDII monitor? I dont really need a tuner, just something that tells me what's going on?
Only one I've seen so far is the bully dog monitor that seems mostly for MPG

Attachments

• image1 (1).jpg
    image1 (1).jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 17
  • image2 (1).jpg
    image2 (1).jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 17

Nak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice truck!

howdy!

If i remove cats will it throw any codes?

If you don't have O2 sensors behind the Cats, then no codes.

If i remove the cats, will just mufflers be enough back pressure? (flowmaster super 40s)

The old back pressure myth. There's no such thing as too little back pressure. It's exhaust velocity that matters. keeping the velocity of the exhaust stream up helps scavenge exhaust from the cylinders, improving low end torque. velocity is improved with reasonable diameter, low restriction, tubing. Going too big on the tube diameter lowers exhaust velocity and hurts low end torque. Excess restriction lowers velocity as well.

Why get rid of the cats? Modern Cats have very little restriction to flow. For a street driven vehicle, you save nothing by getting rid of the cats.

If i get headers without egr port, or whatever that thing is, will it throw a code?

I'm not sure of a code on this vehicle, but if you delete EGR on an engine designed for EGR you are going to reduce power output, reduce MPG and damage your engine in the long run.

Unless you are going to completely change your fuel delivery, leave the emissions alone. At best you will see no improvement in anything. At worst you will lose power, MPG, and longevity--or even worse. It's like the guys who cap off their Evap system because it's "emissions control" and must be bad. Then their truck catches on fire because the damn gas tank over pressurized on a hot day--no vent to release pressure--and a fuel line splits and catches fire. If you truly understand what you are doing then mod away. But don't disable systems just because they're "emissions" related.

If you have a smartphone, the "Torque" app is an outstanding OBDII monitor. "Dash Command" is also great.

Last edited:
OP
OP
2doorfiend

2doorfiend

Reaction score
thank you!

I've heard both sides from removing cats, and both you and sunlight seem to have the same opinion, I think I'll just stick with stock for now. just trying to get the truck louder and improve performance. I talked with someone about long tube headers, and he said I'd have to move my cat's back or remove them If I used long tube headers, and had heard a few places that removing egr would help.

Dash Command? PERFECT! that's exactly what I was looking for, I do have an iphone, I'll probably just have to get a transmitter?
I was looking at the options, and i saw that there is either wired, bluetooth, or WIFI. any preferences? I'd like to stay away from wifi, because i want to use it wherever, and I don't particularly like wires running around the dash, so that left me with the
gopoint bt1a
but it seems that it only works with up to 4s? ill keep looking though

Edit: looks like 5s-6 and IOS 8.1 works fine!

again, Thank you!

Last edited:

Nak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Android, so Bluetooth is my only option. I don't know What's best with the Iphone. As far as transmitters, the OBDLink MX is what I use. It's expensive but the best out there. The Chinese ones on eBay can be hit or miss.

Jedi-GT

Reaction score
I like the side rear view mirror ... any idea where I can view similar products?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

SUBURBIAN

All Chevy
Reaction score
The vehicle laws where you live are important. Where I live, every vehicle 96 or newer get plugged in one a year at a state inspection facility to check vitals via OBDII. Also a visual inspection for all OEM emissions equipment must be present or you don't get a sticker. Can you get away with no catd? No EGR?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrSpork