96 tahoe tailgate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ottis

Reaction score
So after selling my 99 tahoe 2 years ago I am back in a tahoe this time a 96. My 99 had the barn doors my "new" one has the tailgate. long story short I didn't think to check the tailgate before I bought it and found out it wont open the glass half opens just fine. Has anyone ran into this problem if so what was the solution? On a side note the passenger side of the tailgate wont latch closed so when/if I can get the tailgate open will I have to replace it?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
you will need to inspect 30-35 and 41-58 in the picture below. one of thoseparts or a combination of those such as the latch assembly is worn or possibly broken. replacement of the tailgate should not be needed.

OP
OP
ottis

ottis

Reaction score
Sunlit comet I do not see the pictures?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
DAMN ME!!!
end-gate-related-parts-tc1700901.png

http://www.gmpartseast.com/chevy/co...e-related-parts-tc170090117-l31m30k10706.html

OP
OP
ottis

ottis

Reaction score
OP
OP
ottis

ottis

Reaction score
Just wanted to give everyone a update. I have to take the hoe to the body shop as on top of the handle being broken the hinge on the body side was rusted and out of wack which is why the tailgate would not close fully on passenger side. I don't have the skills or ability to do something like that so unfortantly I have to let the proffesionals do that. It'll run me around $200 and about 2-3 days without the tahoe.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine just needed some lubricating when it opened and the strikers froze and it would not shut.

OP
OP
ottis

ottis

Reaction score
yeah mine is the part that the tailgate pivots up and down on. Now that that is figured out I just have to fix my ABS light issue and if I want to go that deep replace my fuel pump so the fuel guage works again.

OP
OP
ottis

ottis

Reaction score
I personally wish I could convert the tailgate into barn doors, but dont think that would be a easy or even possible.

OP
OP
ottis

ottis

Reaction score
So giving everyone a update on my tailgate problem. On the plus side the only thing wrong with the handle is that a clip that holds the rods broke. Now the really bad news, the bottom hing on passenger side has rusted off from the body. From what I was told you have to take bumper off and interior trim in the back and try to make a new hinge as they do not make replacements. So it looks like I have lost the use of the tailgate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhrusso925

Latest posts