96 Tahoe Gearing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
K

khenry

Reaction score
Believe me, I find it hard to believe, I feel the trans shifting into all four gears. What about the torque converter, would it cause this if the clutch was locked?
Thanks for your help.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Sounds like you may be stuck in 4 low.

This is a thought. What's the transfer case button saying? I never even get to 4th by 40 mph. Even in 3rd at 40 I'm at 2k ish under "normal" throttle. It drops into 4th around 45 mph, and runs at under 1500. Something is fishy, for sure. You said it gets through the gears quick, but once you're in 4th, that's it... Rpm/mph ratio is pretty well set. My rear is the same as yours, BTW. How are you getting into 4th before 40 mph? Is it a dog at that point?

OP
OP
K

khenry

Reaction score
I bought this truck without motor, trans, ECU and most wiring gone. I have noticed the lights on the 4x4 low high switches flickering on and off. Transfer case was in truck, figured all was good.
Shit!! So it must be stuck in low. If wiring screwed up can I bypass switches to get it in high?
Thank you everyone for your help and your time. No its not a dog, it pulls hard all the way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marrickard76