96 Folding Rear Seat (2 door) diagram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2DR4EVR

Reaction score
I'm having crazy problems with my rear seat. The cable has stripped itself, or is no longer attached to the locking mechanism. Its very tight back there and cant see anything. So as a result I cant fold my seats down.

I suppose I'll have to remove the entire seat to get access and come up with a fix. How difficult is this to do? Can it be done with one person?

Parts for these rear seats seem to be getting thin........even the website sunlit mentioned has only a few pieces in stock.

So frustrating because these 2 doors get limited real quick for hauling if you cant get that back seat down.

OP
OP
I

itsagaas

Reaction score
Yes, I managed to get the folding rear seat out myself. I broke a few T-50 bits working on getting the two seat belt anchor point bolts out (the ones directly behind the seat) then finally drilled them out. Everything came out easily after that.

OP
OP
I

itsagaas

Reaction score
Thanks to SunLitComet for vectors to the GMPARTSGIANT site. The diagrams and parts lists are very helpful and way better than what is in the GM service manuals.

To 2DR4EVR...there are two latching hooks that lock the rear folding seat in place. In my case, the hook on the driver's side would not disengage when I pulled the release handle because the retainer nut had backed itself off maybe 1/2" which is quite a few turns. I moved the nut back to being snug against the cable stop and added a nylon insert lock nut as a retainer. Both the left and right latching hooks now move as they should. The nut that loosened up is #40 in the rear seat diagram. It screws on to the end of Cable #17. It might be possible to work on it in the truck but in my case the seat was removed so I could install new carpet. Hope this helps.

2DR4EVR

Reaction score
Thanks! This sould help, or at least get me in the right direction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TU1881