8" subs in rear doors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtbennett24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to fit 8" subs in the rear doors of an 09 Tahoe? If I am not mistaken 6.5" speakers will fit but I am wondering if it is possible to do some modification to make 8" fit. I am trying to get some subs in this ride but am not really interested in box taking up space. The JL stealth box is an option but wonedering about the doors. Thanks!

NASTY GM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rear doors are shallow. You would need to make some kind of pods.

1dopeHoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Subs in the doors will sound like shit. You will not get the bass response from there that you would from a proper box set up, and your talking about spending a decent amount of cash just to get them to fit. Can't you just make a box that's easily removable for when you require that extra storage space. Seriously a box for 2 -8" woofers isn't really that big.

OP
OP
M

mtbennett24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just looking at all options. If a box is the only way then so be it. Just thought I'd ask the pros. Thanks for the input.

OP
OP
M

mtbennett24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would shallow 8" subs fit? I imagine I would have to mod the opening since I think only 6.5" would fit. I saw JL makes a 6.5" sub. I imagine those would produce some good mid bass as well?

MOBmentality

Has a $25,000 Punch
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i think a 6.5 jl sub in some sort of box would be pretty sick in the rear doors.. maybe someone could like..
do some sort of foam fill in the bottom of the door then hollow out the box for the sub? put a layer of silicone or sound deadener to make the foam non porous? do a 3 1/2 inch speaker on top of it in the same stock grill?

might be talking out of my ass but it sounds like a sick ass rear door if it would work

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would shallow 8" subs fit? I imagine I would have to mod the opening since I think only 6.5" would fit. I saw JL makes a 6.5" sub. I imagine those would produce some good mid bass as well?

yes sir, JL, Sound Splinter, Kicker, MTX all make shallow mount subs that will fit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Reveita42