74Weld Bolt-On Portals for the GM platform

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marshall 008

Reaction score
So long story short, I reached out to 74Weld regarding expanding their current product lineup of bolt-on portals for the Silverado/Tahoe platforms. Their response, “it will happen, just takes time”.
I know this upgrade isn’t for everyone but the possibilities would we awesome for our vehicles. And I believe fitting 35” tires would be easy with minimal trimming. As well as having the gear reduction in the portal gets rid of the need for re-gearing differentials.
So, just food for thought and thought I would get some other peoples opinions.

Down8

Reaction score
Where do these portals bolt on ? thanks
There's only one possibility for where: at the knuckle. Portals are definitionally at the axle end, right before the wheel.

This is awesome news. I've wanted these since I first learned about portal axles back in the early 2000s. Looking at their site, they have Tacoma stuff - same bolt pattern, right...?

I don't even want gearing in them. I'm happy with 1:1. I just want the 4-6" extra ground clearance. But I need them highway-worthy, like 100mph capable (not that I would be driving a truck that fast, just, you know, buffer, lots of buffer...).

-bZj

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Possible they replace the knuckle... ?

I'm thinking the three wheel bearing bolts don't look that strong for attaching a gear drive that will extend out and down..
That's just going by feelz... I guess it could also utilize the brake mounting ears...

Looking at website, they look like they replace the knuckle..

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i like the idea...but scroll thru some of their offerings...they start at $20k
a lot cheaper ways to fit 35s

Down8

Reaction score
Possible they replace the knuckle... ?

I'm thinking the three wheel bearing bolts don't look that strong for attaching a gear drive that will extend out and down..
That's just going by feelz... I guess it could also utilize the brake mounting ears...

Looking at website, they look like they replace the knuckle..

Yeah, their Toyota pieces are pretty stout replacements:

$20k is insanity. Retrofitting Unimogs, or I think the new G-waggen portals has to be a cheaper. Or is at least Mercedes parts.

-bZj

OP
OP
M

Marshall 008

Reaction score
I agree that they are not cheap by any means. This is one of those upgrades that you do once and never worry about again. I think they are stout enough, considering they can survive KOH and Baja 1000 trophy trucks.

They replace the whole knuckle aka spindle aka upright. I like that you can retain factory suspension (if you wanted) and geometry.

I think the retrofit of Unimogs or G-wagon portals over something like this is in the eye of the beholder. I’m not a suspension expert but I assume there would be a lot of modifications needed to do that over a bolt system like the 74Welds.
I’m curious about the G-wagon portals now and will look to see if anyone has tried installing them on another vehicle.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree that they are not cheap by any means. This is one of those upgrades that you do once and never worry about again. I think they are stout enough, considering they can survive KOH and Baja 1000 trophy trucks.

They replace the whole knuckle aka spindle aka upright. I like that you can retain factory suspension (if you wanted) and geometry.

I think the retrofit of Unimogs or G-wagon portals over something like this is in the eye of the beholder. I’m not a suspension expert but I assume there would be a lot of modifications needed to do that over a bolt system like the 74Welds.
I’m curious about the G-wagon portals now and will look to see if anyone has tried installing them on another vehicle.
gwagons are one of the few vehicles ive actually seen street driven with portals, they are sick as hell but i would say theyre easily 20k+ look at wolfworx portals also does a lot of nissan/toyota stuff.
i have a feeling theyre more popular in europe as their dot equivalent is alot more stringent on vehicle modifications (ie: cheaply made , mass produced, lift kits)

and of course aside from H1 hummers but theyre pretty slow, and the portal on them is weird iirc, its all still between the upper and lower control arm

Last edited:

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hummer H1s are awesome off-road. Who cares if they're slow.

The problem is they are cramped as heck. After spending a few hours behind the wheel of one you just want to jump off a cliff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn