6.2 Engine Sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Razorback

Reaction score
I know sounds are very hard to troubleshoot in person much less on a message board, but I'm going to try.

This is our first 6.2 engine, but have had several 5.3 engines.

When the 6.2 is under a relatively light throttle load, say 2000 RPMs at 30-50 mph, I hear what might be best described as a very, very, very slight whine combined with an air noise. Somewhat similar to a Duramax Diesel's turbo. It is very faint. Wife doesn't notice it. I think the dealer will think I'm crazy. And it may be normal, but its something I don't hear on my 5.3 Sierra. The radio at a normal volume drowns it out.

It seems like that _maybe_ the noise is more noticeable with 87 octane versus 91, but there's not a huge difference?

Is this normal with the 6.2s and if not, is there something I should check before bothering the dealer?

Thanks
GL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

kses123

kses123
Reaction score
The transmission has a very light whining sound to it, but you have to listen carefully to hear it. Maybe that is it?

OP
OP
Razorback

Razorback

Reaction score
Good point. I know tranny's have a bit of a whine at times, but this doesn't sound like that. I'll listen with that in mind.

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually i don't think your crazy I think all vortec v-8s make a whine i know mine does

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems like that _maybe_ the noise is more noticeable with 87 octane versus 91, but there's not a huge difference?

Is this normal with the 6.2s and if not, is there something I should check before bothering the dealer?

Aren't the 6.2L supposed to use 91 octane at a minimum?

OP
OP
Razorback

Razorback

Reaction score
First, I know the recommended octane is 91. Wife didn't and we had a couple of tanks of 87 before we got that straightened out. :idiot:

My 5.3 has none of this whine that the 6.2 has. Again it's very slight and probably not noticeable by a tech. Definitely coming from the engine compartment, most likely pax side. My thought is has something to do with intake.

Oh, no CAI or Airraid (yet.)

Engine develops good power. Right at 3,800 miles now.

GL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mark Bernard

Latest posts