6.0L Valley Cover Gasket - How Hard to DIY?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brake_L8

Reaction score
I've had an oil leak on my Denali for a while now, and have chased it down over the last ~6 months, mostly thanks to a few shops (track car has taken all of my wrenching time). The shops have replaced the valve cover gaskets and the oil filter "adapter plate" gasket. The leak has slowed but is still there.

The shop that did the oil filter gasket claimed the valley cover was leaking. They also wanted $1400 for parts/labor and thus I declined the job. I believe they wanted to do knock sensors while they were in there, which is fair... but even if I'm looking at $400 in parts (which I highly doubt), is this really 10 hours of labor?

I'm not scared to DIY but haven't done much on this truck yet. Is the valley cover a common enough spot for an oil leak, and if so, how bad is it to tackle myself?

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
I've had an oil leak on my Denali for a while now, and have chased it down over the last ~6 months, mostly thanks to a few shops (track car has taken all of my wrenching time). The shops have replaced the valve cover gaskets and the oil filter "adapter plate" gasket. The leak has slowed but is still there.

The shop that did the oil filter gasket claimed the valley cover was leaking. They also wanted $1400 for parts/labor and thus I declined the job. I believe they wanted to do knock sensors while they were in there, which is fair... but even if I'm looking at $400 in parts (which I highly doubt), is this really 10 hours of labor?

I'm not scared to DIY but haven't done much on this truck yet. Is the valley cover a common enough spot for an oil leak, and if so, how bad is it to tackle myself?

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
Wow that's more than I was quoted for my leak, which was to replace the main seal AND oil pan gasket. Following, since it's still possible this is my leak but pretty sure it's main

OP
OP
Brake_L8

Brake_L8

Reaction score
Wow that's more than I was quoted for my leak, which was to replace the main seal AND oil pan gasket. Following, since it's still possible this is my leak but pretty sure it's main

Yeah, hence why I declined the repair. I need to pop that inspection cap off of the bellhousing this weekend and check the rear main. Labor around the DC area is expensive ($100/hr minimum) so I like to DIY what I can... but the truck doesn't fit in my garage and my lovely HOA would not be thrilled with me dropping the transmission in the driveway, methinks, if I had to do the rear main.

So, kinda depends on where the leak is actually coming from as to if I'll do the repair or not.

#1taho

5150TAHO
Reaction score
It's not a bad job to do. Remove the intake. Undo the wiring harness and fuel lines and off it comes. Take out the knock sensors and then the Vally pan. Replace gasket and sensors.

Proberly a day job if cleaning everything as you go.

OP
OP
Brake_L8

Brake_L8

Reaction score
It's not a bad job to do. Remove the intake. Undo the wiring harness and fuel lines and off it comes. Take out the knock sensors and then the Vally pan. Replace gasket and sensors.

Proberly a day job if cleaning everything as you go.

Do you have to completely disconnect the fuel rail? On the BMWs, you can remove it from the manifold and leave the lines hooked up - there's enough play that the whole rail can be set off to the side and the manifold snaked out around it.

I'd prefer to not disconnect the lines but I certainly can.

#1taho

5150TAHO
Reaction score
When I did mine I found it was a must to disconnect. And it's big and in the way so moving it is beneficial. I cleaned the throttle body and intake runners while it was off.

OP
OP
Brake_L8

Brake_L8

Reaction score
When I did mine I found it was a must to disconnect. And it's big and in the way so moving it is beneficial. I cleaned the throttle body and intake runners while it was off.

Gotcha, that works. Any special tool(s) I need to pull the lines?

#1taho

5150TAHO
Reaction score
There is a tool but I use an old zip tie and push it in to push the four prongs in and pull on the line. It's fairly easy that way. but the tool Is Cheep. I think $5 for the one time use cheepie.

OP
OP
Brake_L8

Brake_L8

Reaction score
Excellent, I may give the tool a shot or maybe just the ziptie method. Thanks for the tips!

I guess I'll order the valley cover gasket, intake manifold gaskets, and what else... knock sensors?