6.0 lq9 Vs. 4L60E trans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rich5368

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I talked to a guy today that has a LS1 camaro that consistantly runs 11.20 quarter miles up here at 6500 ft elevation in Greeley CO. I asked him what he had done to his tranny to hold 600 hp and he said he has been running a bone stock 4l60 for the last three years and it's never had an issue. He uses the car as a daily driver. The tranny will hold the 6.0 even with a cam and headers. You're talking maybe 400-425 flywheel hp and it'll be fine. He did say he has a monster cooler for it though. If I remember right he said he bought an oil cooler off of a dodge cummins and that's what he uses for his tranny.

Nickleahy23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I talked to a guy today that has a LS1 camaro that consistantly runs 11.20 quarter miles up here at 6500 ft elevation in Greeley CO. I asked him what he had done to his tranny to hold 600 hp and he said he has been running a bone stock 4l60 for the last three years and it's never had an issue. He uses the car as a daily driver. The tranny will hold the 6.0 even with a cam and headers. You're talking maybe 400-425 flywheel hp and it'll be fine. He did say he has a monster cooler for it though. If I remember right he said he bought an oil cooler off of a dodge cummins and that's what he uses for his tranny.

theres a HUGE difference in a 3500 lb car and a almost 6k lb truck...people have been running stock 4l60es in those cars forever, while stock 4l60e are blowing up in stock trucks...its the weight that kills them..add any extra power and its even worse

rich5368

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see your point. Honestly when I popped the question to him about it I wasn't even taking into account the weight difference in the vehicle. Thanks for throwin me back in line.

Nickleahy23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no problem man lol...ive had so many f body guys tell me the same thing...."oh you dont need a new trans the 4l60e lasts forever..." ya in your car but not a truck lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dukk

Latest posts