5 different mechanics, $4,000 in parts, still no answer..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone jacked up the front end and spun the tires by hand to listen and feel for anything? If the front right wheel doesn't seem to rotate as smooth and freely as the front driver's side, then you may have diagnosed a failed hub assembly and saved $130.

But, this doesn't make any sense with it changing under load/throttle.

The noise happening at speeds around and above 50-55 MPH makes perfect sense to me. The faster a vehicle goes, the more wind drag it has to push through which means it requires more throttle to maintain speed. The wind drag is trying to slow the car down, the engine is working to keep it at speed or to speed up, so it's under more load.

Last edited:

15YUKON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh ok, I thought you had the front diff worked on guess I missed the part you mentioned it was the rear. I agree on the jack stands also, couldn’t hurt to check it out yourself on the wheel bearings. Im not a tranny expert but don’t torque converters normally just go out or stop engaging good altogether? Not sure that would cause the noise you described. I still think differential or wheel bearing.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh ok, I thought you had the front diff worked on guess I missed the part you mentioned it was the rear. I agree on the jack stands also, couldn’t hurt to check it out yourself on the wheel bearings. Im not a tranny expert but don’t torque converters normally just go out or stop engaging good altogether? Not sure that would cause the noise you described. I still think differential or wheel bearing.

2WDs don't have a front diff. ;)

15YUKON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2WDs don't have a front diff. ;)

Missed the 2WD part too:Big Laugh:, someone needs reading glasses. In my mind I read he had a 4X4 and had issues with the front differential o_O. What I meant still doesn’t change and still applies to the rear if that temporarily rectified the issue. Sounds like he’s going to leave it up to a mechanic anyway so our input doesn’t mean anything at this point. Still think it could be a wheel bearing too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Carey251

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion, that is correct, this is a 2WD, so no front differential to consider.

I haven't had anyone look at the front of the car yet because all of the rides I have gone on with the mechanics made them certain it was an issue in the rear of the car. I will jack it up and test to see if the wheels spin freely on each side.

Yesterday, I did notice this when I got home from work and popped the hood. I am not an expert by any means, is this a leaking oil cooler? I have not noticed this before. It looks like I have lost a fair amount of oil through this hose.

image1.jpeg

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, it's a wear item and should be replaced. You can do the whole assembly or just cut out the bad fitting and put a new hose over it with double clamps on each side. The latter is much easier to do.

OP
OP
C

Carey251

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. I think I will go the easy route and use the hose clamp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Five3brian