5.3 to 6.0 engine swap 03 Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redemn93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
correct. no down time, its cheaper than a programmer and you get your deposit back after you return your stock computer. trust me. get that over a programmer. you'll have much better results.

OP
OP
S

Stein2088

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've only had my Tahoe for a short; that being said I've read a lot. The BLackBear tune is highly recommended. No down time, just core charges, and security deposit. EFI live is far superior to a handheld run of the mill tuner.

So any idea on if they have a program that can help with fuel economy during easy driving and give you more performance during towing/heavy load??? I see they can change shift firmness but didnt see anything along those lines... Very interesting... I posted the link to their site below for anyone interested.

http://www.blackbearperformance.com/

redemn93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they can do anything and everything a programmer can do plus more. tell them what you want exactly and they will do it. you will get an order form when you purchase that will take care of all that.

OP
OP
S

Stein2088

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok... So BB tune sounds like the way to go my question is how do you remove the computer from the Hoe???

01subCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if your keeping the 6.0 stock your stock4l60e will hold up for a while.if you can swing the extra money have a transgo hd2 shiftkit put in with a vette servo.should be alot cheaper than the 4l80 trans from the 6.0.and you still need other parts to get the 4l80 in your truck.oh also do atrans cooler with the shiftkit.if you do these upgrades amd in your bb tune they can tune out some of the torque management and the truck will be an animal

OP
OP
S

Stein2088

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if your keeping the 6.0 stock your stock4l60e will hold up for a while.if you can swing the extra money have a transgo hd2 shiftkit put in with a vette servo.should be alot cheaper than the 4l80 trans from the 6.0.and you still need other parts to get the 4l80 in your truck.oh also do atrans cooler with the shiftkit.if you do these upgrades amd in your bb tune they can tune out some of the torque management and the truck will be an animal

What all will I have to do to put the 4l80 in... Things just got real with copper in my last oil change so I need to do something and FAST!!!. Also I'm ok with engine work but the tranny flat out scares me. So where do i go to get the parts for one and for another how hard to put this stuff in???

---------- Post added at 09:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 PM ----------

Another question I just thought about... Newer GM vehicles come with active fuel mgt. Is it possible to use these engines in my hoe with a reprogram. Also will i gain active fuel mgt??

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Stein2088

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok time for a little write up about my research. I will confirm as much as a can as soon as I actually do the swap.

Pull the old one and drop the new one in. You will want to save your intake and the flex plate off the 5.3. Get a Black Bear Tune (these guys have been a great help answering a ton of questions for me Thank you). The blocks are identical you also need to swap the exhaust manifolds from your 5.3 to the 6.0. If I find anything else during the swap Ill let you guys know. Also, for the tranny everyone suggests a Vette servo with a transgo HD2 shift kit as far as the shift kit go from what i've heard this is not a do it your self job but thats all i've heard.

As for your 6.0 selection I've heard there are some different ones out there that have a longer crank wich creats a clearance issue with the TQ converter. I haven't been able to nail down how to identify this or years but just be advised you may run into this. I did find one company that makes custom converters that will eliminate this issue for around $375 Idk if that is on the high end or not but i'm hoping that is all there is to this swap or else I have a 400# engine paper weight and a 3 ton lawn ornament...

Finally, if I have missed anything please let me know. My 6.0 is on the way wish me luck!!!

5.3>6.0
Intake
exhaust manifold
Flex plate
Black Bear tune!!!

OP
OP
S

Stein2088

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update

Well, I just thought I'd update everyone on my swap... I picked up what was said to be a 55K 6.0 out of a 3/4 ton truck got it to the garage and opened her up. Phew no signs of any issues and the bearings look like new. Now just waiting for enough money to address a few small things I want to do (like buy new coolant, trans fluid, TQ conv, Cam, etc.) The one big issue I ran into was with the TQ specs when it came down to torq everything back down. First, For the main caps GM specs are 15 lb/fts. Wow is that a low number but after you torq them down you turn a certain degrees past that I think it was 87* past 15 lb/ft. I'm curious what is the best way to do this or what everyone else has done. I've heard there is a tool out there (my cousin said F_** it and he's going to buy it so he has it for a future build) but if someone else has a cheaper way to do this I'm all ears. I'm just concerned with the TQ only being a little past finger tight that 87* seems rather important.

rob3827

Reaction score
I was thinking about doing this swap myself in my 2001 Suburban LT. It has almost 200k. Question is about the transmission. Why not go with the trans that goes with the 6.0 engine and does the 4l80e bolt up to the transfer case that was on the 4l60e. Another question I've just thought of is do you have to modify the front suspension to support the heavier engine? Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elfro

Latest posts