4wd grinding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daunntlessone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So today there was a huge rain. I ran my 2015i Denali in Auto. I then had to go up an incline to get to a house so I put it in 4wd High. When I had to take a turn left there was a ton of binding and grinding with considerable reduction in turning ratio.

Is that how 4wd High is suppose to operate?

Cmicasa the Great XvX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So today there was a huge rain. I ran my 2015i Denali in Auto. I then had to go up an incline to get to a house so I put it in 4wd High. When I had to take a turn left there was a ton of binding and grinding with considerable reduction in turning ratio.

4WD Low and High are ususally used for REAL Snow or mud situations. AUTO should be used for normal driving in a situation like what U described.. but at worst U should have gone no further than 4WD LOW.

From the manual (or just experience) Page 9-35

(Four-Wheel Drive High): Use
this position when extra traction is
needed, such as when driving on
snowy or icy roads, when
off-roading, or when plowing snow.

4 n (Four-Wheel Drive Low): This
setting engages the front axle and
delivers extra torque. Choose 4 n
when driving off-road in deep sand,
deep mud, or deep snow, and while
climbing or descending steep hills.

OP
OP
Daunntlessone

Daunntlessone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took the Denali to the dealership - it is normal for it to grinding and restrict turning ratio (more than 2014), bit mine had more than normal. They are doing service to reduce the sound/binding. Also there was a chirp when pushing the accelerator in the back right near exhaust which they heard and are attempting to diagnose.

Last edited:

brian163

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
New 2015 Yukon XL. Just about 1000 miles. Usually drive in 2L although it was in Auto when I bought it. (I actually read the manual and it said 2L offered the best fuel economy so I stick with it in dry weather. Has no impact on TC or Stabilitrak.)

So it was a bit slushy out this morning so I decided to switch to 4Hi. According to the manual you can do this on the fly (I did it at a red light away) and it makes no reference to speed restrictions like 4Lo.

My expectation was there would be a little more "noise" in the mode but.... holy cow. As soon as I turned into a parking lot I thought my drive train was grinding apart. The more I turned the wheel the louder and "crunchier" it sounded. I was like WTF? I switched back to Auto and the sound and wheel resistance on turns went away.

This can't be right, I thought. If something is wrong when the front differential is engaged, and Auto engages it as needed without the grinding sound, how do I know Auto is actually doing anything? So I hit the Internet. Finding this thread from Dec. was encouraging as it sounded like a similar, if not the same, issue.

@Daunntlessone, did this get worked out for you? Is the noise still pronounced enough that it would make you think something is wrong? Did it get louder and harder to turn the more you turned the wheel? I don't buy the dealer saying "that's normal". That is their stock answer until a recall appears because there really was something wrong and now the warranty repair needs to kick in (which is money in their pocket too).

I'd rather they not operate on my "patient" in the first place unless I know they have to. Too many experiences where it goes in for one thing and comes out with two others. :emotions133:

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Welcome to the party they do the last update friday and i have the same grinding noise i can take not more will go back to the dealer wednesday.

:hmmm2: plus all 2015D have to have evacuate the freon and recharge the system, replace one of the lift gate bottles .
4 new recalls is geting crazy now i have 19,800 miles in 6 months.

:hmmm2:
IMG_20150109_135850012.jpg

IMG_20150109_135839238.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daunntlessone

Daunntlessone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took my truck to Colorado to go skiing and in the snow all modes worked perfectly.

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Liners<br />
I now have 9,000 miles on mine and just got it back again for the third time "service 4wd". This time the dealer told me that they used the latest codes from gmc to fix the problem......we will see but I'm not holding my breath
<br />
After the latest update is a grinding noise when you use auto. <br />
I call to GM today to fallow my claim and the will check 1 more time and if they not fixed they better come with other type of solution.<br />
[emoji35] [emoji19]<br/>

---------- Post added at 02:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 PM ----------

Will see what happens

OP
OP
Daunntlessone

Daunntlessone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealer said it was normal and when used in snow or mud it would not grind and they where right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redoak76

Latest posts