4WD experts needed!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Prorider17

Reaction score
Forgive my serious newby question here, but I've always owned 2WD vehicles until now. My Z71 Tahoe has 4WD with the auto 4WD button. What's the protocol for safe engagement at the boat ramp? When should I engage 4WD? The manual says one thing, but I would appreciate all the advice I can get.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
id only be in 4wd if it is low tide and the ramp is wet and i had a large boat.

and id be in 4 wheel high, not auto.

Shaw520

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And just to ad to what scottyd said,.. Using 4wd on pavement can be very binding on the drivetrain, especial while turning. I try to avoid using 4wd unless conditions are very slippery.

OP
OP
Prorider17

Prorider17

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Will it do any harm if I engaged 4WD while on the ramp (if I experienced traction loss) vs. engaging it while backing down the ramp?

Shaw520

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No harm there,.especially while staying straight. But return to 2wd before make turns on dry pavement

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as long as your going straight in 4wd your generally fine (forward or reverse), it's when you are turning that it will bite/grab, mild turns are ok but you will see right away what happens on sharper turns on pavement. on these trucks you can safely switch back and forth to 4hi/auto4 at anytime, shift into 4 lo is done only when (fully stopped or 3mph max)

OP
OP
Prorider17

Prorider17

Reaction score
Thanks all. I'm just trying to figure out the best process for putting my truck into 4WD at the ramp. I figured I'd either engage as the trailer's going in the water, or when I go to pull the boat out and experience slippage. I don't like mashing gears or anything when engaging 4WD.

Shaw520

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Understandably so,... I would engage it just as youre backing in,.. I know too well that dreaded feeling of spinning while a massive boat/trailer is attempting to drag you in the water. My particular ramp in the Hudson has a 10ft drop off at the end,... roll back to far and you risk loosing your entire rig into the murky depths of the Hudson River !

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive saved a few guys trucks at the ramp, dont forget the e brake. i ran and jumped in a few trucks to nail the brakes and stop them from sliding in the water. one guy was like f it, your in there, drive it out please!!!! lol

if your going in the ocean your dealing with tides, the ramps are deadly slick when wet at low tide.

when ever im on a hill or incline, especially like a boat ramp with the trailer loaded i always put the trans in neutral, set the e brake, let off the foot brake to let it roll and settle, then put it in park. this way your not sitting there with all that weight on the park pwal. and it will come out of park with ease vs pulling on it then hearing that ping sound.

remember to put it in gear first, then take off the e brake. or you just defeated the whole purpose of setting the e brake.

for the most part i maybe used 4wd once or twice with my 2500 hd and 4,000 boat. if i needed it i stopped and put it in 4wd. saw no need to put it in 4wd unless i was getting stuck, and that was a rare event for me.

i also had a locking rear, maybe the difference. if one wheel slips a 1/2 turn you got both back tires locked in fully, like a spool rear.

OP
OP
Prorider17

Prorider17

Reaction score
ive saved a few guys trucks at the ramp, dont forget the e brake. i ran and jumped in a few trucks to nail the brakes and stop them from sliding in the water. one guy was like f it, your in there, drive it out please!!!! lol

if your going in the ocean your dealing with tides, the ramps are deadly slick when wet at low tide.

when ever im on a hill or incline, especially like a boat ramp with the trailer loaded i always put the trans in neutral, set the e brake, let off the foot brake to let it roll and settle, then put it in park. this way your not sitting there with all that weight on the park pwal. and it will come out of park with ease vs pulling on it then hearing that ping sound.

remember to put it in gear first, then take off the e brake. or you just defeated the whole purpose of setting the e brake.

for the most part i maybe used 4wd once or twice with my 2500 hd and 4,000 boat. if i needed it i stopped and put it in 4wd. saw no need to put it in 4wd unless i was getting stuck, and that was a rare event for me.

i also had a locking rear, maybe the difference. if one wheel slips a 1/2 turn you got both back tires locked in fully, like a spool rear.

Is there any risk to putting it in 4WD while on the ramp if I experience slipping?