4th Row the Right Way

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blown240

Reaction score
I am going to do a 4th row in my 04 Yukon XL. Its 40% off day at the local yards on Monday, so I am going to go cut the rear floor out of another Yukon/Suburban/Tahoe.

My question is if all the 00-06 trucks have the same 3rd row mounting setup. Im pretty sure they do, but wanted to verify that there was no difference between a Tahoe vs Suburban etc.

MY plan is to cut the floor section with the 3rd row mounting points out of a donor truck and then weld, bolt, and seam seal it into my XL in the rear behind the 3rd row.

I have seen the 4th row done other ways, but I want it to look factory and it to be secure.

I'll post pics as I go...

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
facing forward or back(like old station wagons)?

what are your plans for leg / head room? seems 1 or the other has possibility of being uncomfortable.

what about access to 4th row? facing back could make that easy ;)

OP
OP
blown240

blown240

Reaction score
Im not sure if I will do frontwards or backwards. Im leaning towards forwards since, but I will have to play with the extra seat to see what works better. I have a feeling that forwards will have better leg room, but obviously backwards will give easier access.

It will only be small kids in the 4th row, so if they have to crawl over the 3rd, its probably no big deal. It will probably only be a couple times a year that I even use the 4th row, but I like the idea of it, and I can't leave any vehicle alone...

Do all 00-06 Suburban/Tahoe/Yukon have the same 3rd row mounts?

MadDogDelpho

Texcellent
Reaction score
I think they're slightly different. My Tahoe has 2 separate 3rd row seats, while in a burb it's a full row. But I'm not entirely certain, can anyone else confirm or correct? Sounds like a cool project though, subbed.

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea my XL has a single large 3rd bench. My friends Tahoe has 2 split benches for its 3rd row. And I can only image the floor mounts are different

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
kiddos will luv having to crawl over seats to sit down ;)
they'll look forward to car trips. hehehe

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like this idea and, in theory, it sounds totally feasible to execute. Just make sure the seat's attachments/hinge points in the floor are secured in your XL the same way they were in the Tahoe/Yukon (if they bolt to the frame or a cross member through the floor, have extra layers of metal for reinforcement, etc.). Passenger safety measures are engineered into the design of the seating and that should be carried over. You don't want the seats peeling up in an accident.

Tiki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
00-14 (never researched the K2 platform) have the same mounts which are threaded from the factory and use the same brackets.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, this is an interesting idea. Anxious to see how this turns out :hmm:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRSB16