4l85 swap into 00 Tahoe with cammed 6ltr issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

6speedblazer

Reaction score
I used the tune from an 07-09 Express van

my setup was for a gen4

I would suggest that you go back to your old tune
have that tune file changed in the transmission tables to the 80e option, and not go with a "segment swap" file
It's a drop down option now, no custom OS or segments needed any longer

it does not work like that in HPtuners. still need a segment swap to go from a 60e to an 80e.

you are correct, there is a drop down box that lets you select 60 or 80, but its not as simple as just that.

6speedblazer

Reaction score
I have 3 problems.

1. I'm tuned with Blackbear.
2. He uses EFI Live.
3. Mine is a gen 3

I may be looking at a new tuner altogether. HP tuners seems to be better setup for this swap. I`m having to go back to him for every little adjustment and it's still not right. I found someone with the exact same issue and it was resolved but they are using hp tuners..tuning was supposed to be the easy part.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

nothing against Justin or anyone at BBP, but issues like you are describing are exactly the reason i bought HPtuners and began to do my own tuning.

OP
OP
bottomline2000

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nothing against Justin or anyone at BBP, but issues like you are describing are exactly the reason i bought HPtuners and began to do my own tuning.
Yeah that's how I started doing my own wrenching. I'm sure I could figure it out, but wanted something fool proof and quick. Now I find myself doing all the research to tune the damn thing.

One thing on the segment swap. Does the segment swap need to match the year 4l80 because I have an 08 (last year they made them I believe)? I know there is a difference in trans harnesses from 04 up and the OS plays a part too. Mine is actually a 4l85 but that shouldn't matter for tuning purposes.

6speedblazer

Reaction score
Yeah that's how I started doing my own wrenching. I'm sure I could figure it out, but wanted something fool proof and quick. Now I find myself doing all the research to tune the damn thing.

One thing on the segment swap. Does the segment swap need to match the year 4l80 because I have an 08 (last year they made them I believe)? I know there is a difference in trans harnesses from 04 up and the OS plays a part too. Mine is actually a 4l85 but that shouldn't matter for tuning purposes.

im not sure on the internal workings of the trans and what changed when, but your 4l80e segment would have to be from a tune with the same OS# as your current 6.0/4l60e tune.

OP
OP
bottomline2000

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I have narrowed down my last dtc code of pcm1810 to a missing 4l80 diagnostic segment from my tune. I'm trying to verify with BB if this part of the segment swap was completed. By definition this code should not be able to set the check engine light with the 4l80 so it must be the problem. Found this info on the efi live forum from another members post..explains my issue..

"I just got back from a drive. I logged the PIDs you requested and the pressure switches all worked fine. I didn't get the P1810 this time. As I think back, I got the P1810 before I swapped in the 4L80E diagnostic segment. I forgot that initially I just plugged the trans segment in and hauled ass. I don't know if it's a coincidence, but the P1810 hasn't come back since I swapped the proper diagnostic segment in."

OP
OP
bottomline2000

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the good news is the above 80e diagnostic segment swap was reflashed by Justin and he sent me the updated tune. After loading it no more check engine light. The trans shift much better, it runs cooler and the converter locks. It still unlocks when u let off the gas but that is expected until I get a patch in the tune.

I will say the 10.5 converter makes the truck feel faster. After getting everything working right the 3k stall feels good. It felt too loose before. It's got me questioning if I need 4.10 gears.

Gonna wait for the fuel shortage to pass the DFW area and the do some speed runs thru Mexico;-)

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear good news finally. I also have some- after breaking a u-joint strap the day after getting my trans installed and then t-boning an idiot who whipped out in front of me on my bad-ass bagger, I finally got my truck back on the road, my bike in the shop, and my body started healing. I haven't had much time driving yet but I agree with the 10.5 converter. I have a 2800 stall but my truck definitely feels faster too. I am trying to keep things easy right now since the last time I did a full launch the front driveshaft was left dangling. Plus I'm a bit broken up.

OP
OP
bottomline2000

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear good news finally. I also have some- after breaking a u-joint strap the day after getting my trans installed and then t-boning an idiot who whipped out in front of me on my bad-ass bagger, I finally got my truck back on the road, my bike in the shop, and my body started healing. I haven't had much time driving yet but I agree with the 10.5 converter. I have a 2800 stall but my truck definitely feels faster too. I am trying to keep things easy right now since the last time I did a full launch the front driveshaft was left dangling. Plus I'm a bit broken up.
Haha, Red I think we both went thru the ringer getting our trucks back running. My wife and I both had trips to the ER during my swap. Turned out to be nothing more than kidney stones for both of us..been married too long lol.

I was watching your thread while having a minor nervous breakdown trying to get mine going. Good to see u got it running and only got banged up from the wreck. People just don't pay attention and it pisses me off to no end. Let that recovery run its course and you be back out in due time.

I finally get to start working on my interior. Got a full 2 tone katzskin interior that needs to go in and some surgery on my stereo and led lighting.. It never ends lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Speardog