4l60e slipping 3rd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

silky28

Reaction score
Hey all,

so after a tranny fluid leak from the from mount tranny cooler I’ve now got no 3rd gear. When it tries to go into 3rd then engine just revs but nothing happens. Sounds like the clutches have burned out.

I cannot find an affordable transmission locally and don’t want to pay for a rebuild because the truck has 200,000 miles on it and it has lots of rust. But I don’t want to scrap it because the 5.3 runs great and it has all new break lines.

my question is this: Can I replace the burnt out clutches without have to tear the tranny down completely? From what I gather the 3-4 clutch pack is directly behind the pump and is the first section to come out of the tranny. I could just rebuild the whole thing but time is tight and it seems like an overwhelming number of parts.

2003 Tahoe, z71

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try your local U pullit or other yards, sometimes can find a fresh rebuild that totaled. About $250.00

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have never removed a Transmission before watch a few vids and read some of the threads on here first. I was in a similar situation with my Tahoe that had 295k.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

silky28

Reaction score
Try your local U pullit or other yards, sometimes can find a fresh rebuild that totaled. About $250.00

Not sure I want to go that route...to pull a tranny, install it then find it’s no good...

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure I want to go that route...to pull a tranny, install it then find it’s no good...
Well you don’t have much choice- it’s either a junkyard trans or a rebuild. Plus you don’t know what all is messed up, you’re just guessing. It would be even worse to remove the trans, pay someone to replace some parts (because unless you have experience doing this, it’s nothing you should attempt yourself), reinstall it and THEN find out it’s no good. :signs8:

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well then have it rebuilt even if you get another truck no guarantee how long that trans will last.

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I think he was talking about pulling his own transmission and installing the salvage yard transmission and finding out it is bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bl74

Latest posts