4k miles ('17 Denali). Dealer wants to service vehicle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All those little shavings are in the oil filter or pan. Changing the oil early doesn't hurt or help that. They can't get to the bearings anyway, they are already trapped. On these vehicles its not about the dime the oil change costs. We can all afford it. Its the TIME it takes to get it done and the fact the Dealer is not being honest about the requirements. If the engine display and manual state a service interval and you choose to do it sooner because the dealer service advisor says so then you have been marketed too. PT Barnum would say people like you are born every minute. I have worked for two diesel engine manufacturers with diesel engines that say change the oil up to every 40,000 miles. I have had truck fleets that operate over 10,000 semi's. They don't change early and their engines are fine. The manufacturer, operator and oil maker all agree on the oil change interval.
If you have both the time and the money to do the change early go ahead. I just hope its because you want to and not because the dealer service advisor, who has been working there a whole 6 months, made you believe him over all the engineers at GM and the oil companies and 100 years of automotive knowledge.
I still support changing an oil filter early due to embedded shavings in the media, which logically is better than letting it ride for the entire interval. I choose to do so, and a free change for the OP at 4k is not suckering anyone (all new gm get 2 free, so what is dealer gaining here?). I got no problem going 7k by DIC, but first change early has been bery bery good to me...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I took my 16 Tahoe in for the first oil change at 4K miles [which included a trip to NYC and back] I almost had to beg the dealer to change the oil as the service advisor said to wait till 7500 miles and not before..I changed it again at 8K miles at my independent garage and used Mobil 1..I will change it again at 12K miles then again at 15K miles..After that it will be every 5K miles with Mobil 1 0w20 with a AC Delco filter..Is that overkill? Maybe but it makes me sleep better at night..I live in the hot humid jungle with nasty gridlock on a daily basis thanks to everyone texting and eating while driving.

With that said I used to drive a 99 4.6 V8 Town Car [bought back in 99 with only 5K miles] from Queens NY to upstate NY everyday..I put on at least 200 miles a day..I changed the oil in that one every 7K miles using 5w20 Motorcraft..Sometimes sooner when in tons of gridlock..Kept that car for over 300K miles with no major issues.

To each their own but that is just me.

DenaliEd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I took my 16 Tahoe in for the first oil change at 4K miles [which included a trip to NYC and back] I almost had to beg the dealer to change the oil as the service advisor said to wait till 7500 miles and not before..I changed it again at 8K miles at my independent garage and used Mobil 1..I will change it again at 12K miles then again at 15K miles..After that it will be every 5K miles with Mobil 1 0w20 with a AC Delco filter..Is that overkill? Maybe but it makes me sleep better at night..I live in the hot humid jungle with nasty gridlock on a daily basis thanks to everyone texting and eating while driving.

With that said I used to drive a 99 4.6 V8 Town Car [bought back in 99 with only 5K miles] from Queens NY to upstate NY everyday..I put on at least 200 miles a day..I changed the oil in that one every 7K miles using 5w20 Motorcraft..Sometimes sooner when in tons of gridlock..Kept that car for over 300K miles with no major issues.

To each their own but that is just me.
Why 0w20? Factory fill is 5w-30, 0w-20 is a little thin, IMO...

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why 0w20? Factory fill is 5w-30, 0w-20 is a little thin, IMO...

Oil cap says 0w20..When I bought the Tahoe I went into the service department and asked about the grade of oil and they said use ONLY 0w20..They claimed if I had a issue and was not using 0w20 I would be denied..When the dealer did the first oil change they put in 0w20 synthetic blend.

DenaliEd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really? I guess I haven't looked that close, I thought 5W-30 was still GM's huckleberry. I know the new trucks take 8 quarts vs 6 in previous generations.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I would want a little thicker oil especially living in Miami year round

In my neck of the woods a lot of independent mechanics [including mine] will make you sign a waiver if you want a different grade oil then what is on the oil cap..With that said so far I am not using oil between change intervals.

Last January I sold a 4.6 V8 Police Interceptor with 290K miles..According to service records the police agency used 5w20 oil [Ford dealer serviced it] it's entire life so I kept it on it...I did not have to add oil between the 5K-7K miles interval.

I see your point but it seems the thinner 0W20 oil does OK these days..It even surprises me!!!!

I think it is just the 2015 plus 5.3 Tahoes and Suburbans that call for 0w20..I think the 2014 and older call for 5w30 like DenaliEd uses.

Last edited:

AngelXL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really? I guess I haven't looked that close, I thought 5W-30 was still GM's huckleberry. I know the new trucks take 8 quarts vs 6 in previous generations.
It looks like they change it. My old Yukon yes 5W-30. I saw this new numbers for the first time at the auto store. I did my son's car over the weekend.

Glocksub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diesel oil and filter changes on my Cummins are at recommended at 15k miles or 6 months, whichever comes first. Being that they cost over $100 ea at the dealer, I've stuck with their recommendation and have done them every 6 months on the dot. The dealer has record of them if anything should go wrong that they try and attribute to my maintenance intervals, and I get the max life out of the free oil changes that came with it upon purchase. I'm not sure how accurate it is, but even at 6 months, the DIC still shows 20-30% oil life left.

I've never changed the oil on any gas engine that I've owned before 3k miles (some of them went longer than that) and have had zero engine related issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman