4 low when starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lastone

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good evening. I have an 04 Tahoe z71.
I have an issue with it starting in 4 low or 4 high. I then usually have a problem switching it to 2 unless i switch the key on n off a few times. Any help is appreciated thank you.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good evening. I have an 04 Tahoe z71.
I have an issue with it starting in 4 low or 4 high. I then usually have a problem switching it to 2 unless i switch the key on n off a few times. Any help is appreciated thank you.
I sthe light flashing on the Tcase button(s) once vehicle is started or is there a solid light? You should be in neutral (trans) and in neutral (tcase) and not moving when switching from 4 Low to 4hi or 2hi. Did you shutoff vehicle while in 4 low? Or is the light just indicating that its in 4 low (AKA Lost).

OP
OP
L

Lastone

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sometimes it starts with no light when put into drive it will show 4 low or high I have driven and it was indeed in 4 and has difficulty switching back into 2 or four auto without switch key a few times. Thank you for helping.

OP
OP
L

Lastone

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes sir. I guess the real issue is why does it start in 4 hi or low when I have not drove in it. Thank you very much.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes sir. I guess the real issue is why does it start in 4 hi or low when I have not drove in it. Thank you very much.
There are a few reasons this is happening if it is indeed physically happening and not just a incorrect light indication. First id like to know if you actually had been using 4Low and shut the vehicle off in your driveway and left it in 4low? Very rarely if ever would you need 4low.
You could have a wiring harness problem such as wires rubbed through and shorting to each other or to chassis ground, Your commutator (Range Switch Indicator) that is installed in the electric shift motor that is bolted on the side of your Tcase is worn out and can be replaced separately or is new when a new shift motor is purchased or you have electronic problems internally in the TCM (Transfer Case control Module). There is also a chance that your buttons on the dash have switches that are intermittently making contact when they arent being pushed and a replacement will fix that. Its more common that they become electrically open and never allow a mode(s) to be chosen like 4wd low, 4wd Hi or Neutral.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There are a few reasons this is happening if it is indeed physically happening and not just a incorrect light indication. First id like to know if you actually had been using 4Low and shut the vehicle off in your driveway and left it in 4low? Very rarely if ever would you need 4low.
You could have a wiring harness problem such as wires rubbed through and shorting to each other or to chassis ground, Your commutator (Range Switch Indicator) that is installed in the electric shift motor that is bolted on the side of your Tcase is worn out and can be replaced separately or is new when a new shift motor is purchased or you have electronic problems internally in the TCM (Transfer Case control Module). There is also a chance that your buttons on the dash have switches that are intermittently making contact when they arent being pushed and a replacement will fix that. Its more common that they become electrically open and never allow a mode(s) to be chosen like 4wd low, 4wd Hi or Neutral.

^^^ This. Need a scanner that can show actual mode vs what the switch is showing (or not showing).

OP
OP
L

Lastone

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No sir. I haven’t found a reason at all for needing to put in four wheel at yet. I appreciate your answer for being as complete but easy to follow for a shade tree as myself. I believe it might be not actually in 4 at all bc sometimes it doesn’t clank when engaging even after switching back to 2(if actual in 4) n sometimes when 4 auto light is on I do have to go to four high before it will attempt to switch to 2. Main concern here also is I’m able to fix it so I’m not driving in low or even high but wife doesn’t like the idea if she ever uses it that she might not be able to get it back out n knows driveing in 4 low or high at certain speeds will damage truck. Is there a way that I could just leave it in 2 and unplug something to keep it from ever going into either unless done by me. Thank you very much for the information sir.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No sir. I haven’t found a reason at all for needing to put in four wheel at yet. I appreciate your answer for being as complete but easy to follow for a shade tree as myself. I believe it might be not actually in 4 at all bc sometimes it doesn’t clank when engaging even after switching back to 2(if actual in 4) n sometimes when 4 auto light is on I do have to go to four high before it will attempt to switch to 2. Main concern here also is I’m able to fix it so I’m not driving in low or even high but wife doesn’t like the idea if she ever uses it that she might not be able to get it back out n knows driveing in 4 low or high at certain speeds will damage truck. Is there a way that I could just leave it in 2 and unplug something to keep it from ever going into either unless done by me. Thank you very much for the information sir.
You would know if you were truly in 4wd low at even city driving speeds. That transfer case would be screaming and your RPM's would be pegged out. You likely just have a bad commutator ring in the shift motor of the Tcase. So the system is lost because it doesnt know what Tcase range selection you are truly in. No big deal, just annoying looking at the lights on the dash. Tcase is electronically locked from going into 4Low without being in neutral at tranny and neautral at Tcase. This is what the part looks like and it is located in your shift motor which is bolted on drivers side of your Tcase just behind the front driveshaft yoke. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinf...5UhVp0H1PmlUUfxLzmw/vwJrK0d3/XC/jsWojWDHoKHHM

Be sure to match your RPO code for your Tcase so you get the right one. You could also get the whole encoder shift motor which will have a new Range selection commutator installed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20