3Inch Body Lift Asap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Symba_The_Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so i know that i have posted bought this subject before but i am buying the kit from summit (posted below) In aboght a week so i have a lot of question before i order it , I have a old school bull bar that uses brackets that hold on to the bumper that dos not use the frame, Will i still be able to install it back on the bumper after the kit is installed? Where can i buy a rear bumper bracket so there is not a gap (1996 Tahoe 2dr) Is there any part that is not included in the kit that i will have to buy separate like a fuel filler neck or and fuel filter extension? How do you install the the steering extension, What is the biggest tier size that you can run on a stock 16in rim with out changing the gear's, If you can wright it like this so i can understand you it would be very appreciated xD (265/75/16)

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-7812300

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Ok lets see for your steering extension sell it you dont need it, the filler neck adapter is only for suburbans, get the rear bumoer bracket on ebay or make some, shift linkage will need to be extended. If its cable take the driver side seat out pull carpet and move the cable down more if metal take ot out cut amd add the rod thats in the kit, bull bar uses the tow hook location. Imo ditch it its gonna be weird getting it up more

---------- Post added at 11:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 PM ----------

Tire size go with 33s. I got a 3in bd lift but i need to upgrade tires but mine ar new so....

---------- Post added at 11:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 PM ----------

You shoulda got the performance acessory kit. About the same and just more widely known. It will also take you.a couple days but REMEMBER to pb blast the body mount bolts days befkre and do it multiple times. I had one break and was such a pita... Pb blast em every day until you pull em. And do pass side first then driver side. Loosen all the bolts but take one side out first so the body doesnt shift

OP
OP
Symba_The_Lyon

Symba_The_Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So Gzes the tier size would be 33/75/16? How bad do they rub at full turn? Well for the fuel filler neck the pvc tube that connects to the neck and to the gas tank will be long enough with the body lift? How would make rear bumper brackets? Can you make a ruff sketch on paint of something for me xD How would i extend the shift linkage? And the bull bar doesn't use the tow hooks they use bracket that they don't make any more Xp

EastTXYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see a lot of wrong information in this thread.

I installed a Summit Racing 3" BL on my 96 2 door. It was pretty straightforward; I've never done any kind of lift before. The Summit kit is the same as the Performance Accessories kit, just in a Summit box, and cheaper.

Ok lets see for your steering extension sell it you dont need it,

Wrong. Why in the world would you screw around with something as important as the steering? Yes, you can get by without the extension, but it's in the kit for a reason. Better safe than sorry. It's easy to put on, just take the bolt out of the steering shaft, insert the extension and retighten.

the filler neck adapter is only for suburbans

I had to use the filler next extension on my 2 door. Cut the rubber filler tube and insert the extension between the cut.

get the rear bumoer bracket on ebay or make some

There are no brackets to raise the rear bumper on a 2 door. The frame will have to be cut and rewelded. I did this on my 2 door to raise my rear bumper.

bull bar uses the tow hook location. Imo ditch it its gonna be weird getting it up more

You said your bull bar was bolted to your front bumper. If that is the case, it will be fine with the body lift. The kit from Summit comes with front bumper relocation brackets.

I would run 33's (metric 285/75, 295/75 or 305/75 are all about a 33" diameter tire. I run a 295/75/16 with the stock 3.42 gear ratio. I would love to regear to a 4.10, but the 3.42 isn't terrible.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
I see a lot of wrong information in this thread.

I installed a Summit Racing 3" BL on my 96 2 door. It was pretty straightforward; I've never done any kind of lift before. The Summit kit is the same as the Performance Accessories kit, just in a Summit box, and cheaper.

Wrong. Why in the world would you screw around with something as important as the steering? Yes, you can get by without the extension, but it's in the kit for a reason. Better safe than sorry. It's easy to put on, just take the bolt out of the steering shaft, insert the extension and retighten.

I had to use the filler next extension on my 2 door. Cut the rubber filler tube and insert the extension between the cut.

There are no brackets to raise the rear bumper on a 2 door. The frame will have to be cut and rewelded. I did this on my 2 door to raise my rear bumper.

You said your bull bar was bolted to your front bumper. If that is the case, it will be fine with the body lift. The kit from Summit comes with front bumper relocation brackets.

I would run 33's (metric 285/75, 295/75 or 305/75 are all about a 33" diameter tire. I run a 295/75/16 with the stock 3.42 gear ratio. I would love to regear to a 4.10, but the 3.42 isn't terrible.

Many report that the steering extension gives play to the wheel and i didnt use it and have no problems, next the filler hose i didnt have to mess with it and its perfectly fine,
If the bull bar is on the bumper then its fine. I know what i was doing when doing my lift. I didnt put a rear bumper lift on my 2dr i just left it down but have heard that they make a bracket for it. Dont know about tire size but my old ram had 33 12.5 15s so something like that is what id use

---------- Post added at 12:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 AM ----------

Also with the performance accesory kit the steering extension has to be welded in

---------- Post added at 12:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 AM ----------

Also there shpuld be no need to extend the filler hose. Somethign was wronf woth easttx hose as stated in the instructions the extension is needed only in the suburban... Your hose must have been cut before

---------- Post added at 12:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 AM ----------

If yall need lics let me know and i can snap some i have my rear bumper off right now aswell so can show more pics of lretty much everything. Note for the front if you upgrade to cattle guard yoy cant hse the lift brackets you gotta keep it down

---------- Post added at 12:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 AM ----------

If you have floor 4x4 you also have to loosen the bolt that is in the shifter for the floor 4x4. My shifter didnt ry mover down but it still needed to get loosened then tightened after

OP
OP
Symba_The_Lyon

Symba_The_Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank You Guys!! With the 305/75/16 how bad would it rub at full turn? when im trail riding i do a lot of sharp turns, lol What aboght a shift linkage its that still needed? Mine has a push button 4x4, and gzes that picture would be very helpful! And EastTXYukon what aboght the fuel filter will you half to extend it any? iv read on some outer forums that they had to.

EastTXYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When installing the lift, I unscrewed the 3 brass screws that hold the fuel filler to the body (screws are located behind the gas door). I wanted to make sure nothing binded up when I actually started jacking the body up. One lifted, I went to replace the brass screws, but could not get the fuel filler hose to reach without putting the extension in (which comes in the lift kit).

As for the tires, no they should not rub, but it depends on your wheels more than anything else. Will you be running stock or aftermarket? Look at my sig for my setup. My wheels have -6 offset, and I have never rubbed at full lock

OP
OP
Symba_The_Lyon

Symba_The_Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah im going to run the stock wheels that on my picture xD how dos the 295 /75 16 treat you with the body lift? You wouldn't have a resent picture your you're hoe my chance would you?

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
To check for the shift linkage open the hood and look like next to the booster and see if you have a rod style shift linkage. If so its easy to take out and cut and weld. Later on ill get some pics for ya

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeSexingStick